4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Lakewood Upper and Lower control arms

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 02:39 AM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Default Lakewood Upper and Lower control arms

Hey guys, so there is a guy locally selling his set of Lakewood LCA's and UCA's for $130 for the set. Are these a good brand to look into getting, or even if they're not the best would they be worth the really low price.
He said the UCA's are new, and the LCA's are almost new.
And my car will be used for AX/twisties more than drag racing next summer also.
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

To me, it is not soo much the brand... but the design!

ESPECIALLY if you are looking for cornering/AX performance, I would not recommend ANY aftermarket UCA, but rather a whole new direction for the rear suspension. Yup.... talkin' some $$$ here, but will be amazed by the grip one attains via PHB or WL with TA.

Your car is blown, so grip is of a higher priority than an OEM Stang. I do not know your other suspension mods, but 100% of the time, recommend one start with the following items for an improvement in performance...

1. FLSFC's ~ MM is great, but many others out there. MUST be welded in place for best performance.
2. LCA's ~ one wth at LEAST one spherical end and have a preference for the TB end, myself.
3. Decision time...

To go beyond this point, I would ask you your ULTIMATE goals for your ride.

I would NEXT recommend about $300 and get....

1. Good brake pads ~ I run Hawk HPS, some run Porterfield, some run others.
2. DOT4> fluid ~ Good fluid has higher boiling point and will not give you brake fade
3. SS lines ~ Install them at ALL FOUR corners

The above will give you WONDERFUL brakes that are far superior to OEM ones, with existing calipers and rotors at a VERY low price. One more thing to add, while I have drifted (< pun intended ) off the suspension path.... tires. Brakes do NOT stop your car, the tires do

What tires are you running?

Jazzer.... giving WAY too much info (as usual!)

PS. Peep my suspension guide for WHY I recommend such LCA's and things above
PPS. Peep my Choosing a new tire thread for WHY one tire is better than another for your situation
PPPS. Peep my yet-to-be-written brake guide when I get around to it
Old 12-04-2010, 11:03 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

im sending my car out to cali for the winter so jazzer can do my suspension for me
Old 12-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Alright, here we go.

First off, how does the design seem to you for the lakewood ones? Any good?

I would do the FLSFC first but this deal came up so I figured I should go for it.

As for brakes Ive got the Cobra front brake upgrade kit and some aftermarket brakes in the back that were on the car when I bought it (not sure what brand)

For tires, right now Ive got some ones that suck, but after winter is over I was probably gonna pick up some NT05's unless there is another tire that would have better grip/performance for a similar price.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:19 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kugzgt
im sending my car out to cali for the winter so jazzer can do my suspension for me
You are going to need more than suspension to prevent that cobra from getting its *** whooped come springtime by me buddy ol' pal.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Harryman2002
Alright, here we go.

First off, how does the design seem to you for the lakewood ones? Any good?

I would do the FLSFC first but this deal came up so I figured I should go for it.

As for brakes Ive got the Cobra front brake upgrade kit and some aftermarket brakes in the back that were on the car when I bought it (not sure what brand)

For tires, right now Ive got some ones that suck, but after winter is over I was probably gonna pick up some NT05's unless there is another tire that would have better grip/performance for a similar price.
LCA's ~ I would need to see a link to let you know if they are any good or not. ALL Lakewood ares of which I have seen..... suck! in this reguard Just look at the ones you propose to purchase. Do they have a spherical bearing on one or both sides?

Brakes ~ Do you have SS lines? What pads are you running? What fluid do you have in the system? If you don't know any/all of these things, would be safest to spend the money to upgrade as mentioned in my earlier post. Do you have heat-soak issues under hard braking from high speeds? Does your pedal get spongy?

Tires ~ NT05's are a fine tire, but not soo great in the wet. If you live in an area that gets VERY cold, snow and such, I would either get something else or another set of wheels/tires for the Winter season.

Jazzer

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 12-04-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

I cant get any links up right now since im at work, but if you go to control arms on american muscle they have them on there.
Same with the cobra brake kit, I bought it from them also.
And since ive had these brakes I havent gone to any AX events since the season is over. So no info on that. And im not sure what fluid I have.

Last edited by Harryman2002; 12-04-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Here's the links
http://www.americanmuscle.com/lakewo...arms-9904.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/lakewo...arms-7904.html
And here's what I have for brakes
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-r...onversion.html
Old 12-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK.... the LCA's are HORRIBLE, in terms of the design criteria I use. The UCA's are the worst possible design one can install on a DD looking to improve cornering There is a pic of the exact same design located in ny suspension guide of UCA's that were removed from a user on this board. They allow next to zero articulation of the rear axle, so can do nothing but cause damage to your control-arm connections, your handling and the arms themselves!

The brakes are fine, but says "factory OEM" pads are included. I don't know if they are OEM for the GT, but likely the Cobra and do not know how good/bad they are. If they are the same as OEM GT pads, I recommend you replace them.

Have you done any upgrades to the rear brakes?

Jazzer
Old 12-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Wow good to know, I guess I wont be picking those up then.
The rear brakes are not stock, the rotors are drilled and slotted but the previous owner did them so im not sure exactly what they are. I was planning on doing some more suspension stuff before changing things on the rear brakes.