4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Exhaust Advice for New '03 Mustang GT owner

Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Alicia_08

Default Exhaust Advice for New '03 Mustang GT owner

This summer I purchased a 2003 Mustang GT. Everything in it is stock, so I want some suggestions on how to spice it up a little, starting with the exhaust. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has had both good and bad experiences since I don't know the first thing about exhaust systems.

Also, I tried to research MN laws about vehicle noise, and all I was able to conclude was that it can't make a popping noise. If anyone has advice about/experiences with motor vehicle noise laws, I would greatly appreciate it!

Anything is helpful, thank you!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:06 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

Depends on how loud you want to go. I'd check around on youtube for the type of set up you like. But going with an O/R midpipe (x or h) of some kind will give you the loudest sound and not pass emissions.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:47 PM
T.Richardson
1st Gear Member

Depends on your tastes.. personally, I like Magnaflows, Bassani's, and Borla's, with a h pipe, and longtube headers..
Old 12-07-2010, 12:17 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Can you eleborate on the "can't make a popping noise" part? Never heard of that before
Old 12-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Fox466
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alicia_08
This summer I purchased a 2003 Mustang GT. Everything in it is stock, so I want some suggestions on how to spice it up a little, starting with the exhaust. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has had both good and bad experiences since I don't know the first thing about exhaust systems.

Also, I tried to research MN laws about vehicle noise, and all I was able to conclude was that it can't make a popping noise. If anyone has advice about/experiences with motor vehicle noise laws, I would greatly appreciate it!

Anything is helpful, thank you!

What do YOU like? My '00 model GT has an SLP Loudmouth exhaust on it that is LOUD when under full pedal and awesome when in 'just cruising' mode. It's loud as hell when I'm mashing on it but just about noticeable when cruising. So, what noise level, on a scale of 1-10, do you want? Will you be doing an x pipe, eliminating cats, how far do you want to go?

My advise would be to go with just a cat back setup so that you don't run into emission issues. This way you don't go the more involved route (with an x pipe or the like) of having someone with a computer eliminate the cat check from the ecm so that it will pass emissions as many others have...

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
Can you eleborate on the "can't make a popping noise" part? Never heard of that before

From my limited experience I've always encountered popping as being too much fuel too close to really hot cats, causing the popping on decelaration.

Not sure how accurate that is. Anyone else?

Last edited by Fox466; 12-07-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

I purchased two Flowmaster 44 Series mufflers with the intention of welding those in with a UPR off road X pipe. That combination sounds extremely good from the research that I've done. Again, you won't pass emissions with a cat-less exhaust (that is, an H pipe or X pipe with catalytic converters removed), but the sound is incredible. My best advice is to check out YouTube and search for Mustangs that have aftermarket exhausts, particularly from your year model, and see what you like.

Good luck with everything, and welcome to the forums.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:33 PM
hole18n1
2nd Gear Member

this is my car with no mufflers and a O/R x pipe. Im gonna throw some flowmaster 44's on but you could just cut out mufflers and it would be cheap and sound very similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6JWfvTGNoM
Old 12-08-2010, 04:19 PM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hole18n1
this is my car with no mufflers and a O/R x pipe. Im gonna throw some flowmaster 44's on but you could just cut out mufflers and it would be cheap and sound very similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6JWfvTGNoM
A prime example of a good sound. It's a matter of preference - do you want a loud, raspy sound, or a deep growl? I find that the Flowmaster 44's compliment the stock exhaust note. It adds a deeper growl, and the off road X pipe really adds a raspier element to it. Exhausts come in "cat back kits" that replacement everything from the "cat"alytic converter "back." (Cheesy way to show that, I know.) That's the way I'm going, with the addition of an off road X pipe.

I'm sure whatever you choose will sound great!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:39 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Heres the best advice you'll get regarding this topic.

Youtube.com

At the end of the day, you want to get a haircut right? I may say it should be this way, another may say another way, you may have in mind another way, and 5 others may disagree and say we're all idiots and should do it another way. In the end, its your ride, your $$, and your choice. Check out youtube, there are literally hundreds of thousands if not millions of different videos of different combinations on these cars.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:39 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Cheapest way to go is weld in mufflers done at your local exhaust shop.

Best way to go is buy a catback and have the exhaust shop install it if you are not able to do so yourself. Then if you want more sound, research midpipes and possibly headers if you want to go that far. Youtube is a great help, as well as streetfire.net and just google video searches(which I think is now part of youtube...but worth a shot). Loved my flowmasters with catted x, love magnaflow magnapacks with an o/r h, there are a lot of good combos out there, just gotta find one that fits you.

And if you find a couple that you like, just come back asking out of those specific setups which one we like. While we all do stuff to our car that is, in the end, what we want, others opinions do end up taking effect because you want compliments and dont want people not liking your car based on exhaust, am I right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Advice for New '03 Mustang GT owner