4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

can a 2004 gt engine handle a 60 dry shot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:48 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Default can a 2004 gt engine handle a 60 dry shot?

My buddy has the kit and I've never sprayed before, so I figured this is my chance. We'll be injecting it through the rubber intake. What do you guys think?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

The car is going to go lean without a tune, but it can definitely handle the extra power. People have run 150 shots on these cars with the stock motor.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Cool. We're gonna install it in a few, as I'll be poppin my cherry spraying a lil baby shot...
Old 12-09-2010, 09:24 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

yeah just make sure you get a tune, check out bama at AM
Old 12-10-2010, 02:11 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

My buddy and I installed it already. It took us a bit to figure out the wiring but we got it. I have the button wired up and hold it, press it and shift at the same time. It's not as hard as I thought it would be.
I took off in first w/o sprayin, sprayed all through second and third. I did feel a pull, however the passenger felt it way more. Haha idk why. I tried it again and paid more attention to my speedometer and rpm's more. There was a difference and just like the first tme I smoked weed, I need more!!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:34 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

ok i dont know what you think you are doing, but you need to stop...NOW. dry kit is a must have dyno tune. your gonna blow your motor if you keep this up...if you want to keep doing what your doing fine, but you have been warned. you obviously have almost zero knowledge of nitrous, you ask for help, a couple people have responded and you refuse to listen. nitrous is not something you just plug into your car and go terrorize the street with...unless you feel like replacing a motor.

you say your injecting through the rubber intake? where do you have the nozzle? it needs to be BEFORE the maf in a dry setup, thats the only way your car can detect that nitrous has been sprayed and you saying through the rubber intake makes me believe your spraying AFTER the maf...which is making you dangerously lean and your going to detonate if thats the case.

what all do you have on your kit? window switch? etc....

what other mods do you have? how much bigger are you going with the shot? you need to get new injectors, your stockers are going to max out if they arent already on a 60 shot.

also have you gotten colder plugs? regapped them? have you checked the plugs for signs of running too rich/lean/detonating?

seriously, SLOW DOWN. you have much to learn if you dont want to be replacing your motor next week.

also...a button? this isnt fast and the furious. you need to put that on a WOT/micro switch with a window switch, or your skating with danger.

OH and another thing. your probably not feeling as much gain as you would like, because your running this untuned and possibly improper with where your jet is. with a dry kit even sprayed properly (which again doesnt sound like you are) you still need a dyno tune to get a proper AFR because your ECU doesnt know how much fuel to add just because the MAF gets shocked with colder air. too rich = your not getting the full 60 hp. too lean and your not getting the full HP and you run the risk of destroying your motor ontop of that.

do you even have premium fuel in your gas tank right now?

Last edited by MU71L4710N; 12-10-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
ok i dont know what you think you are doing, but you need to stop...NOW. dry kit is a must have dyno tune. your gonna blow your motor if you keep this up...if you want to keep doing what your doing fine, but you have been warned. you obviously have almost zero knowledge of nitrous, you ask for help, a couple people have responded and you refuse to listen. nitrous is not something you just plug into your car and go terrorize the street with...unless you feel like replacing a motor.

you say your injecting through the rubber intake? where do you have the nozzle? it needs to be BEFORE the maf in a dry setup, thats the only way your car can detect that nitrous has been sprayed and you saying through the rubber intake makes me believe your spraying AFTER the maf...which is making you dangerously lean and your going to detonate if thats the case.

what other mods do you have? how much bigger are you going with the shot? you need to get new injectors, your stockers are going to max out if they arent already on a 60 shot.

also have you gotten colder plugs? regapped them? have you checked the plugs for signs of running too rich/lean/detonating?

seriously, SLOW DOWN. you have much to learn if you dont want to be replacing your motor next week.

also...a button? this isnt fast and the furious. you need to put that on a WOT/micro switch with a window switch, or your skating with danger.

OH and another thing. your probably not feeling as much gain as you would like, because your running this untuned and possibly improper with where your jet is. with a dry kit even sprayed properly (which again doesnt sound like you are) you still need a dyno tune to get a proper AFR because your ECU doesnt know how much fuel to add just because the MAF gets shocked with colder air. too rich = your not getting the full 60 hp. too lean and your not getting the full HP and you run the risk of destroying your motor ontop of that.

+100, If that car isn't tuned you're gonna blow it, if you pull a plug right now its probably white'er that Christmas. Also, what kind of switch to you have set up, is it just a button that you press and it opens the nitrous solenoid and keeps spraying nitrous till you lef off the switch lol? As stated above if you have that nozzle after the MAF I'm suprised themotor held together even with a 60 shot.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:35 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST. SPRAY the Hell out of it!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 03:12 PM
tim2002gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
if you pull a plug right now its probably white'er that Christmas.
Hahaha! Thats hilarious!

Like stated above, you need a tune. You could get away with what you are doing if it was a wet kit. But you are not only playing with fire, you are standing in it right now. Get it on a dyno ASAP!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 03:49 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N

Damn. First of all let me say I appreciate you telling me all this.

I have not regapped the plugs. They are at .054. I did inject it after the MAF near the throttle body. I only have shorties, o/r x-pipe, 255 walbro fp, RAM clutch, 9mm Ford racing wires oand that's it. For the night I ran 91 chevron. I was actually kidding about going with a bigger shot. I clearly understand that 60 is enough.
Another thing, if I hook the jet before the MAF will it be a bit safer? I just have the ZEX bottle with a NX selenoid. I have it hooked up exactly like the dude said above with the button being pressed with my shift hand. Haha damn

Quick Reply: can a 2004 gt engine handle a 60 dry shot?