4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2000 4.6L suggested motor dressup

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:07 PM
ShaneMcBride

Default 2000 4.6L suggested motor dressup

The Mac Cold Air induction is getting rusty so I want to replace it. I do not like how it goes through the firewall. It's hard to maintain the filter.

That's about all I have ever done to the motor.

I suppose I want to do hoses, pipes, parts, etc. Where would you start and any recommended website on where to look? I am getting confused since there are so many sites.

Thanks in advance,
Shane
Old 12-10-2010, 06:28 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

a lot of people go with AmericanMuscle.com and just various parts stores like advance, auto zone, cjponyparts.com, etc.

I would replace your CAI with one from "any" company that uses a plastic tube instead of metal. The plastic wont get as heat soaked and will keep the air fairly cooler once the car is up to operating temp (not that it really matters in most cases though)

Not sure what you want to do with your car so suggestions could be anywhere from exhaust to supercahrger (a lot of poeple are going to say get nitrous or add a power adder (supercharger or turbocharger)

motor looks clean though, except for the rusty CAI haha

P.S. is your name Shane McBride?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:35 PM
ShaneMcBride

No, I am looking for for appearance at this point. I want to keep it kind of inexpensive. I already put a nice exhaust. Super charger and NOS is out for now. New gears 3:73 ratio are probably the next performance increase. Looking for low priced cool looking parts.

The interior/exterior are perfect and all original. I want to keep some integrity but add some razzle dazzle under the hood.

I did find AmericanMuscle and it looks legit. I like some of the cool stuff there. Simply parts like: http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrome-egr-cap-9904.html
Old 12-10-2010, 06:46 PM
ShaneMcBride

Oh yea my name is Shane McBride
Old 12-10-2010, 06:50 PM
ShaneMcBride

Anything I can do to clean up some of the oxidization on the alternator and other parts? It's not rust, just that crusty acidic looking junk.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:07 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneMcBride
Anything I can do to clean up some of the oxidization on the alternator and other parts? It's not rust, just that crusty acidic looking junk.
you can polish it, it takes alot of patience tho, or you can send it to someone to do it
Old 12-10-2010, 07:13 PM
ShaneMcBride

Polish it with a dremel tool and some kind of creme?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:18 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

a dremel will only get you so far we're talking about going down to a 2000 grit for a mirror finish
Old 12-10-2010, 08:11 PM
ShaneMcBride

I tried a test area on the CAI and alternator with a dremel and misc attachements. It did a nice job. But boy the more you do the more areas you see that need it.

The block is nappy. Not greasy, just grimy. Looks like I take this one part at a time. Adding a nice new chrome piece to this slightly oxidized motor will look pretty silly.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:53 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Best dress up mods are to start changing stuff out for aluminum like the intake, valve covers, coolant res. You can also do a wire tuck.

You got a funny name lol

Quick Reply: 2000 4.6L suggested motor dressup