4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Looking to get a mustang this coming spring/summer

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:13 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I say wait until you're out of college or have enough money to buy it without needing a loan.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Doc Hawk
1st Gear Member

Cobra is the answer if you want to keep the car. GT if you just want to throw money at it, kick around, and then upgrade later when you have more money. You will have spent more in the long run, though.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:54 AM
3.0Taurass
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
I've owned a 2v, 3v, and 4v. No doubt the 4v is the way to go. It responds well to mods and is superior to the 2v.
okay sweet. Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
I say wait until you're out of college or have enough money to buy it without needing a loan.
I plan to. I should have enough to cover it by the start of summer. If everything goes according to plan, I should graduate Spring 2013

Originally Posted by Doc Hawk
Cobra is the answer if you want to keep the car. GT if you just want to throw money at it, kick around, and then upgrade later when you have more money. You will have spent more in the long run, though.
After I graduate, get a full time job and get a house I'd like to get a corvette or a terminator... but since thats pretty far off I'd have the car for a while
Old 12-13-2010, 08:42 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

The question is, what do you want out of the car?

Are you looking for a "racecar"? Or just a fast daily driver cruiser?

If you're looknig to do nothing but race, I'd say go for the Cobra. An SN-95 Cobra is usually dirt cheap these days, and capable of strong power.

If you want something a bit nicer as a DD, yet you want power, a good choice would be a 99-04 GT and slap a supercharger on it.

EIther way, you can't go wrong. You can do all of this within a 10K budget. The New Edges and SN-95's are dirt cheap now. Even the 05 Models are coming down in price to about 13K these days.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:09 PM
3.0Taurass
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
The question is, what do you want out of the car?

Are you looking for a "racecar"? Or just a fast daily driver cruiser?

If you're looknig to do nothing but race, I'd say go for the Cobra. An SN-95 Cobra is usually dirt cheap these days, and capable of strong power.

If you want something a bit nicer as a DD, yet you want power, a good choice would be a 99-04 GT and slap a supercharger on it.

EIther way, you can't go wrong. You can do all of this within a 10K budget. The New Edges and SN-95's are dirt cheap now. Even the 05 Models are coming down in price to about 13K these days.
Essentially I'd like to get as close to 400rwhp as I can for as cheap as possible. I'd have the taurus as a DD but I still would want the mustang to be able to serve as one if need be. I suppose a cruiser would be the best definition. I'm about an hour from a 1/4 track and an hour fifteen from Road America so it'd be sweet to go to those too.

I checked out the "1500 dollar supercharger" thread and I'm sure I could do it for under 2500. In three minutes of searching I found a kit on ebay, vortech v1 kit for 1500. Only needs a svt focus fuel pump and a oil discharge thing.

I know the cobra has more potential, but if all I'm shooting for is 400 hp I think the s/c gt would be more cost efficient for that goal. Less cool though....
Old 12-13-2010, 12:19 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I just know that as nice as a SN95 Cobra is, I bet 75% of them are beat to shat cause by now. That, and the 1998 Model year was over 12 years ago. But, the 4v engine is better for modding. The 2v is great for 400hp...by slapping a s/c on it. It's very hard and costly to build a 2v into the 400 rwhp range, N/A.

It really will come down to your A) Personal preference of the SN95 Croba styling vs New Edge GT styling and B) If you can find a good priced Cobra that's not beat to hell.

You'll find it. Best of luck to you
Old 12-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Goochstang
1st Gear Member

I'm 19 and bought my own 2001 Mustang GT 75k miles for 6750$. I got a deal from the lady I bought it from... one owner, woman driven. Thing was flawless and couldnt pass it up. I didnt buy my 2v to race but more of a good looking, fun daily driver. I live in Alabama and am getting 23 mpg. I looked at sn95 cobras and they were all beat to ****. They have a great motor but imo the new edge GT looks way better than a sn95 cobra. My advice is to get whatever you want. Whether you get a new edge GT or sn95 cobra, you will enjoy both.

Edit: My buddy had a Sc'd vortech New Edge GT and he was getting 400rwhp. Thing was bloody FAST.

Last edited by Goochstang; 12-13-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Doc Hawk
1st Gear Member

You're totally forgetting about the IRS. Cobra is much more than power. The suspension is a sports car suspension. The GT has a drag car suspension. The Cobra can be made to drag with lots of mods, but it'll never match the simple brutal strength and stability of a GT's SRA. The GT can be made to corner with lots of suspension, axle, and bracing mods, but it'll never match the surefooted balance of the Cobra IRS.

People will argue about this a lot. I have owned both, tuned both, raced both. I won a season championship last year, and several before that, so I have experience tuning a fast car.

If you like corners, get the Cobra. If you want to launch, drag, and do freeway pulls, get the GT.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:25 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by 3.0Taurass
Large metal forging facility in WI and as of right now I have no set budget.
uck... your actually wanting to be stuck over in the land of cheese for the summer! hahaha jk. Congrads on the internship. Well speaking of summer. You still think you'll make it back to minny for CAR CRAFT summer nationals at least?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:09 PM
3.0Taurass
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
Yeah, I just know that as nice as a SN95 Cobra is, I bet 75% of them are beat to shat cause by now. That, and the 1998 Model year was over 12 years ago. But, the 4v engine is better for modding. The 2v is great for 400hp...by slapping a s/c on it. It's very hard and costly to build a 2v into the 400 rwhp range, N/A.

It really will come down to your A) Personal preference of the SN95 Croba styling vs New Edge GT styling and B) If you can find a good priced Cobra that's not beat to hell.

You'll find it. Best of luck to you
Originally Posted by Goochstang
I'm 19 and bought my own 2001 Mustang GT 75k miles for 6750$. I got a deal from the lady I bought it from... one owner, woman driven. Thing was flawless and couldnt pass it up. I didnt buy my 2v to race but more of a good looking, fun daily driver. I live in Alabama and am getting 23 mpg. I looked at sn95 cobras and they were all beat to ****. They have a great motor but imo the new edge GT looks way better than a sn95 cobra. My advice is to get whatever you want. Whether you get a new edge GT or sn95 cobra, you will enjoy both.

Edit: My buddy had a Sc'd vortech New Edge GT and he
was getting 400rwhp. Thing was bloody FAST.
Thanks. I do prefer the new edge styling and its more likely I'll find a gt thats been taken care of so when the time comes I'll probably be going that route

Originally Posted by Doc Hawk
You're totally forgetting about the IRS. Cobra is much more than power. The suspension is a sports car suspension. The GT has a drag car suspension. The Cobra can be made to drag with lots of mods, but it'll never match the simple brutal strength and stability of a GT's SRA. The GT can be made to corner with lots of suspension, axle, and bracing mods, but it'll never match the surefooted balance of the Cobra IRS.

People will argue about this a lot. I have owned both, tuned both, raced both. I won a season championship last year, and several before that, so I have experience tuning a fast car.

If you like corners, get the Cobra. If you want to launch, drag, and do freeway pulls, get the GT.
Seems like the gt is what I'm looking for in terms of handling too. The v6 I had in high school handled really well compared to other cars I've driven, but it had a fair amount of stuff done to it when I got it. it had strut tower brace, welded-in subframe connectors, K-Member stiffing brace, rear axle panhard bar, Bilstein Shocks/struts. How much would it be to put all that stuff into a car new?

Originally Posted by sonicx
uck... your actually wanting to be stuck over in the land of cheese for the summer! hahaha jk. Congrads on the internship. Well speaking of summer. You still think you'll make it back to minny for CAR CRAFT summer nationals at least?
haha thanks. And since its a weekend, I can definitely try to come out.

Quick Reply: Looking to get a mustang this coming spring/summer