4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Vortech + meth or IC Kenne Bell

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:03 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Yea, my friend that switched from a 125 hit to a D1 Procharger running like 8psi and he likes the spray better but is too lazy to swap it back over and paid too much for the s/c kit so he is in a sucky situation.
Yeah, with a ~10psi entry level centri, he would be pushing a little over 400rwhp with the cams, but probably right at or under 400rwtq with those cams. He would likely drop +100 foot pounds going that route. Which is why I like the turbo idea the most.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:33 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Don't get me wrong i love my nitous setup, and realize it still may slightly outperform a centi or KB even with a few more rwhp, but to be honest im just looking to have the power all the time. Having to fill a bottle, heat it, arm it, etc...just starts to get a little tiresome after a while.

My main concern between the Vortech + meth or the IC KB was the difference in possible heat soak issues. I mean which one would be more reliable on consistantly acheiving optimal hp & tq output?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:47 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I will suggest going to here...

http://www.killerchiller.com/system_6.htm

if you decide to go with the kenne bell. This runs in the a/c system and uses the refrigerant of the a/c system to chill the i/c fluid for increased cooling. This thing really does work. Lots of cobra guys on SVTP love the KC! If turbo is not an option, the KB with a KC would be my vote!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:24 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Ok, this may sound like a noob question but here we go, can you run nitrous and either a s/c or turbo at the same time?
Old 12-17-2010, 11:39 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

yea, you can always spray and f/i at the same time. You have to be careful though with how much you spray and how much you boost. Big turbo guys spray at the bottom end to help spool and use a progressive controller to manage it. Spraying on a centri car would help pick up bottom end torque, and spraying on a twin screw car is just nuts just because youre already getting insta-torque.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:30 AM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

I love my KB 2.1.. The only thing I do not like is the fact that I have a 98 teskid block and forged crank in my basement, and am still saving for the forged rods and pistons. 14psi is soon to come.

But to be honest, at 9psi, the 2.1L does not really scream to much. I am hoping that may change with more boost.

I would not take back my decision to go KB ever.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:26 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

yea, you can always spray and f/i at the same time. You have to be careful though with how much you spray and how much you boost. Big turbo guys spray at the bottom end to help spool and use a progressive controller to manage it. Spraying on a centri car would help pick up bottom end torque, and spraying on a twin screw car is just nuts just because youre already getting insta-torque.
This plus nitrous is where it is at I think he needs more torque. I believe he added a 50 shot to this and ran a 9.15 LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7yzSxC9cHs

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 12-18-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:57 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I will suggest going to here...

http://www.killerchiller.com/system_6.htm

if you decide to go with the kenne bell. This runs in the a/c system and uses the refrigerant of the a/c system to chill the i/c fluid for increased cooling. This thing really does work. Lots of cobra guys on SVTP love the KC! If turbo is not an option, the KB with a KC would be my vote!

Cool thanks man! So this runs in place of the intercooler correct? Now do you know if this would lower the temps better than KB's intercooler even at lower boost levels...say like maybe 10-12psi?
Old 12-18-2010, 06:07 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wolverine8490
I love my KB 2.1.. The only thing I do not like is the fact that I have a 98 teskid block and forged crank in my basement, and am still saving for the forged rods and pistons. 14psi is soon to come.

But to be honest, at 9psi, the 2.1L does not really scream to much. I am hoping that may change with more boost.

I would not take back my decision to go KB ever.
When you say it doesn't scream too much, are you talking about the whine from the blower itself, or are you saying it's just not as fast as you thought it would be at 9psi?

Do you have any heat soak issues that are fairly noticable, especially on hot summer days?

Also, how do you like your 3.73's with the blower? Do you find traction to be a major issue, or is it not too bad in general?

Thanks
Old 12-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

OP you will need DRs at 400 rwhp and your current gearing with either blower setup you choose. Even if you drop your gearing to 3.55s on street tires they are going to light up in 2nd gear. Go with KB and try or current gearing with DRs to see how you like it. If you don't I would get 3.55s.

Quick Reply: Vortech + meth or IC Kenne Bell