4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Got me some HIDs!

Old 12-19-2010, 04:31 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Default Got me some HIDs!

Well me and a buddy installed a set of 6000 HIDs that ive had sittin around for a month or so. Got the kit pretty cheap and it turned out great

They weren't too bad to install...took longer to find the mounting points for the ballast boxes then to actually intall the lights haha.

Really simple intall.

Ill have pics up tonight!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:36 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

pics and what brand?
Old 12-19-2010, 04:40 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I'd be real interested in your feedback after you get a good look at them tonight!
I have dark smoked headlights and would love some brighter lighting, but I have seen several people indicate that HID lights in the factory housings produce a bright light with poor control over it's dispersion.

I wasn't too sure about the theory there, but I recently had a guy in a Honda following me with HID's in his factory housings... and they WERE extremely obnoxious! I do not want to create that situation for others driving around me.

Once you see them in the dark, post up about how much glare they create for others. I'd love to have your feedback on these HID's.
Thanks man!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:46 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

I definitely want to see how those turn out, I've been thinking about grabbing some as well
Old 12-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
I'd be real interested in your feedback after you get a good look at them tonight!
I have dark smoked headlights and would love some brighter lighting, but I have seen several people indicate that HID lights in the factory housings produce a bright light with poor control over it's dispersion.

I wasn't too sure about the theory there, but I recently had a guy in a Honda following me with HID's in his factory housings... and they WERE extremely obnoxious! I do not want to create that situation for others driving around me.

Once you see them in the dark, post up about how much glare they create for others. I'd love to have your feedback on these HID's.
Thanks man!
Thats exactly why I havent done HIDs yet. Here in New York there are TONS of modded cars with HIDs in Halogen housings. I can't stand being blinded by them and I'd hate to do it to other people. Let us know how these turn out, if they aren't blinding others I might actually consider them.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:08 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Just aim your headlights down... Sure they create glare in stock housings, but w/e!
Old 12-19-2010, 05:47 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If your concern is seeing while driving in the dark read these first:

Disadvantages of HID

Thinking of Converting to HID?

The arguments presented in these articles are largely why there has been no wholesale switchover to HID in the automotive industry--with the exception of those brands where various marketing gimmicks is all they have going for them. And also why almost any car you see with HIDs is also running some sort of auxiliary driving light--they need them to see the road...
Old 12-19-2010, 06:53 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

They're great at night! They look soo kicka**...i took pics and a video but my sister has the USB cable for the camera so ill have to wait a sec and try and get it from her.

But umm idk if i can post where i got them on here (like sponsors and such)...but i don't have smoked headlights so idk if that will drastically affect visability.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

Glad you like your HID's they really are night and day compared to OEM lights despite the glare that they create.

Originally Posted by Shotgun Love
Thats exactly why I havent done HIDs yet. Here in New York there are TONS of modded cars with HIDs in Halogen housings. I can't stand being blinded by them and I'd hate to do it to other people. Let us know how these turn out, if they aren't blinding others I might actually consider them.
I always hated that too, but i figured if I can't beat them join them. I don't know how much glare the 35w HID's. I have those and it is definitely a lot better than the 55w, which I have had in the past. You may want to consider those.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
If your concern is seeing while driving in the dark read these first:

Disadvantages of HID

Thinking of Converting to HID?

The arguments presented in these articles are largely why there has been no wholesale switchover to HID in the automotive industry--with the exception of those brands where various marketing gimmicks is all they have going for them. And also why almost any car you see with HIDs is also running some sort of auxiliary driving light--they need them to see the road...
I have stock OEM lights and I cant see **** without my Fogs on... I dont see how having brighter HIDs is going to be a hinderance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got me some HIDs!