MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   Supercharged AND turboed!? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/626784-supercharged-and-turboed.html)

Dragonus18 12-20-2010 08:33 AM

Supercharged AND turboed!?

I heard this on another forum here that it's possible to supercharge AND turbo your mustang? How is this possible? I have a procharger P-1SC kit on my mustang so am I understanding that I can throw a turbo in as well? How does this work? What are the pros and cons to it? Do I have to get a completely new turbo kit or do I have to run some of the plumbing together? I didn't find anything under the search option so if I missed something if someone could kindly inform me I would GREATLY appreciate it!

oxfordgt 12-20-2010 09:40 AM

It's possible with a centri blower but not worth it. It is done with PD blowers for the low end torque until the turbo's catch up and take over.

Here is a pic of my roommates cobra that we did a compound boost set up on.
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...597f13f892.jpg

jvog 12-20-2010 09:42 AM

Its called compound boost. I don't know much about it but try searching for it under that phrase and see if u find anything

5spdftw 12-20-2010 10:21 AM

probably completely unrelated but /i know that Gayle Banks has designed a good number of compound boost setups for trucks and whatnot.

Bmitchell373 12-20-2010 11:52 AM

Hellion has a set up for the 03/04 cobras.

smitty2919 12-20-2010 01:20 PM

What OX said. I have also read that one of them will end up being the choke point for the other. i think it was the case the roots will not be able to keep up with the tubo's and actually hinder the full potential of the car.

I may be wrong, but I thought I remember seeing a thread about this on some forum at some point in time LOL.

It would be cool if you could do a compound boot setup, but at a certain rpm, the tubro/tubo's will take over and the roots will "shut off". Like at a certain rpm it will switch from each setup. Roots is "on" and the turbo's vent to air, then turbo's will kick in and roots will vent to air....crazy idea I know, and would make one crazy looking intake/piping...

MU71L4710N 12-20-2010 01:37 PM

if your motor isnt forged there is no reason for you to think about this, your procharger probably has your stock shortblock about maxed out as is (give or take 400whp). you will have to run the turbos almost as if you didnt have the blower. do the hotside, mount the turbos, feed them into an intercooler if your doing that, then have that going to the "intake" of the blower.

compound boost is inefficient and expensive though since you have to buy two separate power adders. it also creates a ton of heat (and especially on the cobras still using the heaton which is already bad enough by itself). YES, you can get some very nice numbers off a compound boost setup, but the only thing i really give it credit for is being extremely cool. the idea behind compound boost is to have a positive displacement blower giving you a lot of low end grunt, then once your turbos are spooled you get a very nice high end curve so you get the best of both worlds. problem is, once that blower starts boosting, the turbos are choking the "intake" path for the blower. once the turbos are at full boost, the sc is blocking. for most people not trying to hit 1000+ hp in their cars, one or the other will give better results and less headache.

Dragonus18 12-20-2010 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N (Post 7340252)
if your motor isnt forged there is no reason for you to think about this, your procharger probably has your stock shortblock about maxed out as is (give or take 400whp). you will have to run the turbos almost as if you didnt have the blower. do the hotside, mount the turbos, feed them into an intercooler if your doing that, then have that going to the "intake" of the blower.

compound boost is inefficient and expensive though since you have to buy two separate power adders. it also creates a ton of heat (and especially on the cobras still using the heaton which is already bad enough by itself). YES, you can get some very nice numbers off a compound boost setup, but the only thing i really give it credit for is being extremely cool. the idea behind compound boost is to have a positive displacement blower giving you a lot of low end grunt, then once your turbos are spooled you get a very nice high end curve so you get the best of both worlds. problem is, once that blower starts boosting, the turbos are choking the "intake" path for the blower. once the turbos are at full boost, the sc is blocking. for most people not trying to hit 1000+ hp in their cars, one or the other will give better results and less headache.

ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................... Interesting.......Has anyone on these forums done it before?

WhiteFoxGT 12-20-2010 07:47 PM

Its not worth it. A nice s/c kit can make more peak power and a nice turbo setup can make more peak power than a compound setup. Like stated above the supercharger becomes the choke point eventually. But a compound setup is good for 6-700hp easy

oxfordgt 12-20-2010 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonus18 (Post 7340625)
ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................... Interesting.......Has anyone on these forums done it before?

LOL Did you miss my post. I did it on my roommates cobra. It made 900rwhp on 93 octane. Waiting to upgrade some parts then he is going to get his race gas tune.