MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   Idle RPMs between 500-750 (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/626855-idle-rpms-between-500-750-a.html)

sportsguy0502 12-20-2010 09:48 PM

Idle RPMs between 500-750

So i posted a thread on here earlier today, saying that i need new spark plugs wires b/c I was changing the spark plugs, and the one wire would not come out, so i grabbed a pair of needle nose, and pulled. It came out but not without leaving half on the spark plug. So i could not change that plug, or 3 others. I stopped after i broke it, the cylinder still fires b/c the spark transfer is still useful. So i only got 4 plugs changed out of 8. Yes, a total failure, i know. But i was wondering if the problem is from that there is a mix in plugs, or b/c one wire is broke. When i drive, i do feel a struggle, it feels like clogged injectors, but i cleaned them. So any help is extremely appreciated.

uberstang1 12-21-2010 05:47 AM

What do you mean by half was still left on the spark plug? If you mean half of the spring contact from the old wire is still on the plug and you just rammed a new wire over it or just put the rest of the broken wire back on I would say thats more than likley the problem. If the plugs were getting real bad some of the older plugs may cause you to have a few sloppy cylinders. You really should change the rest of the plugs IMO and replace the broken wire or maybe all of the wires. Also some of the new plugs may be gapped different than the older plugs still in the engine. If you are new to working on stuff and have little expereince I would HIGHLY recommend using a torque wrench to torque the spark plugs to spec because these heads have a reputation for blowing out plugs.

sportsguy0502 12-21-2010 06:01 AM

I mean the part that secures the wire to the plug broke off, where the socket goes on the plug is covered, but the metal part of the plug still makes contact with wire. I am changing all the wires, and the plugs next weekend, or do you think i should do it ASAP.

sportsguy0502 12-21-2010 12:31 PM

Do you guys recommend the 9mm ford racing spark plug wires?

98redstang 12-21-2010 02:26 PM

If that boot is ripped it could be arcing out on the head and misfireing.

sportsguy0502 12-21-2010 05:05 PM

what is the normal idle for the car?

98redstang 12-21-2010 06:17 PM

All depends on the car. When i got mine tuned he set the idle to 1k. Normally i would say around 600-800 though. But if its running rough i bet you the spark is arcing out. When it gets darker out spray some water mixed with vinegar around the boots and wires. This will help you see if the wires/boots are arcing out.

sportsguy0502 12-21-2010 06:30 PM

i just have a 98 GT stock, and i did the vinegar and water and did not find anything. It seems like when the engine is cold, it will idle normal(1100), but when it gets warm, it drops to 500-800. it just bounces up to 800, then slowly comes to 500, then it struggles at 500, it will shot back up to 800.

98redstang 12-22-2010 08:46 AM

clean your maf and clean your iac. Thats what it sounds like to me. More likely your iac. Its the piece on the front of your plenum with a little canister looking thing. ITs two bolts. Take it off spray it out with carb cleaner and use a Q-tip to get some of the black crap out of there. I say some cause your never gonna get it perfect. See if this fixes it first. Also i would change your fuel filter if you havent done so yet.

sportsguy0502 12-22-2010 07:00 PM

ok, i am cleaning the iac tomorow, and let you know how it goes. The fuel filter was change three months ago, injectors cleaned a month ago, mas was cleaned yesterday. anything else i should clean that might help while im at it?