4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Plastic bag stuck on exhaust pipes

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Plastic bag stuck on exhaust pipes

Has this ever happened to anyone else before? It is the worse thing in the world. The smell of burnt plastic in the interior is unbelievably nauseating and I felt like I was about to pass out several times. It's happened once before with a smaller plastic bag and as soon as I noticed the all-too-familliar smell just now when I was driving, I knew exactly what it was. I looked under and I must have picked up a small industrial trash bag or something cause half my X pipe is covered in white plastic.

Any ideas how to remove the stuff once the car cools down? I know the plastic melts and becomes hardened and it looks like a bitch and a half to deal with.

It will be like this for days just like last time...and I won't be able to tolerate it...

Brandon
Old 12-30-2010, 10:23 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often with all the stuff people throw out onto the streets.... Wish I could help... You could try chiseling it off if it actually hardens... (my best guess, haha)
Old 12-31-2010, 04:36 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It has happened to me 3 or 4 times--when quite bad I have used a scraper to get off the worst of it (easier when the pipe is hot) and then just live with the stink 'til it finally burns off--a good 20-30 mile run on the interstate usually gets rid of most of it.

It is one of those instances where you wish there were someone to grab by the neck...
Old 12-31-2010, 05:59 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Acetone(the pure ****, not watered down nail polish remover) will dissolve many plastics. Gasoline will dissolve some things. Oven Cleaner will also work. I would try the acetone first, but WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES. You do not want that crap dripping in your eyes...
Old 12-31-2010, 07:23 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Unfortunately the damned things are made of polyethylene; either low density (the somewhat stretchy ones) or high density (the stiffer ones that crackle a bit), both of which have very high chemical resistance.

In the table in that link the ++ symbol means that the listed chemical has no effect on polyethylene.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:47 AM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

What about goof off? That stuff eats through plastic and just about everything else.

I wouldn't use it on the painted portion, but being that you have it on your exhuast pipes I would try it on that.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:33 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRad405
What about goof off? That stuff eats through plastic and just about everything else.

I wouldn't use it on the painted portion, but being that you have it on your exhuast pipes I would try it on that.
I thought about that stuff...but it's really just citric acid I think, and may not even be as strong as the acetone is. Meh...if it was me I think I would just burn it off and be done with it.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:31 AM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

It has happened to me before. I just had to suck it up for a few days, but it went away on its own.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:28 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Might try a rotating wire brush attachment for drill or air tool...
Good luck!
Old 12-31-2010, 03:35 PM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
Might try a rotating wire brush attachment for drill. Good luck!
This is what I used.

Quick Reply: Plastic bag stuck on exhaust pipes