4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New Boomsticks just came in!!! Happy New Years!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

wish i would of went stage 2 my stage ones deffinetly woke my car up but stage 2's would of done that even more
Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
The N/A cams are going to perform better. The CMS Stage 2 cams are advertised at a 108IC. Why are you installing them at a 109IC?
Originally Posted by mrtstang
Theoretically, it should boost the mid-range power a bit, which is where you want it. Peak numbers may not be much different though. I didn't realize those blower cams were at a 115 ICL. 108 to 115 a really big difference.

Weren't you trapping like 110 mph with those cams though? IIRC, you didn't have any major weight reduction or anything crazy did you?

Also, is the 109 ICL a misprint on your part, or are you doing that to gain a little more clearance?
That was a typo on my part. The cam card actually says to install them at 108.5,* but either way, it should be a decent difference going from a 115.

The highest I ever trapped with the blower cams was 109.8, but I have also made trips to the track where I only trapped 105-106, so I don't know if there is something going on with the trap clocks at my track or something.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
That was a typo on my part. The cam card actually says to install them at 108.5,* but either way, it should be a decent difference going from a 115.

The highest I ever trapped with the blower cams was 109.8, but I have also made trips to the track where I only trapped 105-106, so I don't know if there is something going on with the trap clocks at my track or something.
The track could be off. I had this happen to me once. Went to Milan (a well known drag strip here in MI) and before i had the cams i was trapping consistantly at 107-108 that day. I'd been to that track a few times before that, and since then, and with the same mods i'd consistantly trap 103-104.

BTW, you do know that clearance will be really tight with those cams right?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:59 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I'm definitely going to degree them and check for PTVC on the install. I know many guys just throw them in there, but I prefer the peace of mind knowing that I'm not gonna bend a valve. I also know the cam gears as well as the cams can be off a few degrees too.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:05 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

i wanna E race you when i get mine in haha! i saw that thread on corral, i kinda wanted em. your car is gonna be nasty!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:21 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
i wanna E race you when i get mine in haha! i saw that thread on corral, i kinda wanted em. your car is gonna be nasty!
I can't believe nobody even made the guy an offer. I see guys spending over $400 on used cams like comp 270s and stuff. They were up for a couiple weeks before I even posted I think.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Theoretically, it should boost the mid-range power a bit, which is where you want it. Peak numbers may not be much different though. I didn't realize those blower cams were at a 115 ICL. 108 to 115 a really big difference.

Weren't you trapping like 110 mph with those cams though? IIRC, you didn't have any major weight reduction or anything crazy did you?

Also, is the 109 ICL a misprint on your part, or are you doing that to gain a little more clearance?
Yeah no crazy weight redux. My best times had the back seat and spare/jack pulled, but that's it. The car has been 12.9s with the seat in and everything. Pretty close to stock weight. So I'm hoping these cams plus a lower rear end gear and a tubular k/a-arms will drop me into the low-mid 12s.

Interesting note.......This is one of my cam cards......and the second is a buddy with CMS Stage 2s on another forum. The ones I have would have to have been ordered before his. I wonder why the ICL and LSA are off my a half of a degree.......JIM, where are you?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Ohh, pretty. I still remember the day my cams came in the mail. Mmmm Drool.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:42 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Heres a stupid question, I never had expereince building a mod motor just the old pushrod engines. When you do a cam swap can you just re-use the upper cam brackets? Id imagine they serve kinda as the bearings? Do you need to get anything machined? Or can you just bolt them down?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
I have welded most of the seams, but I think some damage has already been done. I have since put in a lower box kit and just got finished painting the uppers.
I have just the seams welded myself but would like to do the plates

Quick Reply: New Boomsticks just came in!!! Happy New Years!!