4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Vortech Grenaded, possibly the Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

That sucks for sure. Where in AZ are you anyway?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:27 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Sorry to hear man, If no metal made it down throught the intake system I think you'll be safe. When it comes to shrapnel getting down the oil return, the pickup screen and oilfilter will do a good job of keeping it out of the engine.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:16 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

^oil pick up will def help, but once that **** starts sticking in your valves thats gonna be a pita
Old 01-05-2011, 08:52 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

From what the guy told me, the engine shut off almost immediately and that he was very confident that none had made it into the oil. He told me he had only seen it like 3 times, in more than 400+ blower cars.

The shop it's at right now I would trust with my life. They've had oil lines fabricated for me from scratch for unbelievably cheap, and they've had more than one chance to take advantage of me, and didn't bother to. By far the best shop I've ever worked with.

My dad's house was forclosed on on the 17th of december, he had to be out on Christmas day, so I didn't have anywhere in tucson that I could work on the car myself, otherwise I would probably be doing most of this, but other than that, I'm glad they're doing the work.

I believe he's going to drain the oil and check for any metal shavings, and he's going to take the throttle body off because he wants to make sure none got into the intake manifold.

Anyway, more than likely it's going to be returned to NA, and will be driven for a while. The blower that is on there was built in 2004, so it's almost 7 years old. Anyway, I'll keep yall updated on what's going on.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:02 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Sucks dude, but as long as your motor is fine, you should be happy. Metal making it though the intake would be kind of tough since it has to make it through the entire intake system including the intercooler. The shared oil is what I would be worried about as well, but you really need to drop the pan to be sure about that.

Sounds like it's time to run that thing N/A with some nasty cams!!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:27 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scooter3
That sucks for sure. Where in AZ are you anyway?
I live in tempe, but right now I'm in Tucson visiting family for the holidays.

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Sucks dude, but as long as your motor is fine, you should be happy. Metal making it though the intake would be kind of tough since it has to make it through the entire intake system including the intercooler. The shared oil is what I would be worried about as well, but you really need to drop the pan to be sure about that.

Sounds like it's time to run that thing N/A with some nasty cams!!
Well, if the engine makes it out unscathed, I'll look at going to a bigger blower, or possibly turbo, but the idea will mainly to sell it.

I really think that with the blower blown, I'm not even interested in salvaging anything. It's been nothing but problems lately, I think it may be time for me to move on. I really don't feel like sinking any more money into it, especially when my debt pile is growing.

Keep in mind, when I finished my first degree, I didn't owe a dime. My tuition was covered by scholarships, and I was living with my parents.

Intel WAS paying for this degree, but they decided to cut that short, so now I'm financing it myself. With classes, housing, and shiznit, I've accrued about 30k in debt. Granted I'll probably be able to pay it off decently rapidly, it still puts a huge halt on having any money to put into this car, other than to keep it moving

My long terms plan for the car were to eventually do a frame up restoration, and really put the car together piece by piece, but the halmark of that plan was for it to be running until I could do that, as a mode of transportation. Such a big set back kind of puts a damper on that plan, so IDK that I'll keep that going

Last edited by 2000AZ5.0GT; 01-06-2011 at 01:37 AM.