4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Steeda Short Shifter????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

I have a B&M with the steeda handle for sale. I "upgraded" to the MGW thinking it was better. Everyone said not to waste the money if I already had a STS, but I wanted the "best" shifter. Long story short there was hardly any difference at all. Shifts felt exactly the same other then going from 4th to 5th which seemed a little smoother. But if I could do it again I would have just kept my B&M. Anyway here's a link if you're interested:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/part...t-shifter.html
Old 01-14-2011, 03:00 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
I would not call a difference of just a few percent "much shorter" than a Tri-Ax.

Ford changed the length of the factory shift throw many times over the years. When someone claims their shifter is "40% shorter than stock," ask them what year transmission they are comparing it to. (They probably don't even know). The factory Ford short throw shifter that comes stock on a 2004 Mustang is about 40% shorter than the long throw shifter that came on a 1984 Mustang.

Our shifter is 33% shorter than the shortest factory shifter. I don't see MGW's numbers published anymore, but they used to advertise around 35 to 40%, but compared to what? Even if its against the same standards we compare to, the difference is minimal.

Our shifter is about 20% shorter throw than stock in the upper position (we have a 2 position handle height), with a super comfortable reach in that position.

Our shifter has also been tested to over 1.5 million shifts with absolutely NO wear whatsoever. MGW shifters have a nylon pivot ball inside that WILL wear over years of use.

Do searches on some forums and you will find a few cases of their shifter getting sloppy cause of this.

Also, while their handle has a much different, freely moving adjustment, if you search you will also find some cases of the handle rotating and moving around over time and not keeping its position due to that design. Ours will not have those issues.

You can take a look at the shifter here: http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-t...d-mustang.html

Forum members get preffered pricing on our products, so if you are interested PM me for pricing.
When the tri-ax is compared to the stock 3650 transmission and the MGW shortshifter, the throws of the tri-ax felt almost stock to me after having a MGW shortshifter in my car for over a year. I don't have the exact numbers, but it is shorter than the tri-ax, cliffy might have the numbers. I haven't had or ever heard of "wear" issues with MGW.

Last edited by tdcalhoun89; 01-14-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-14-2011, 03:08 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
the throws of the tri-ax felt almost stock to me
Because of the Tri-Ax handle length is close to stock
Old 01-14-2011, 03:19 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Exactly...

I would rather have FIRM, direct shifts, than having a shorter handle..and harder gear change. I can rest my elbow on the center console and just move my wrist through every gear.. comfortable, and gets the job done.

MGW can suck off.

lol
Old 01-14-2011, 03:41 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

^You're sucha hater...lol
Old 01-14-2011, 04:04 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by smitty2919
The Tri-Ax would squeak if you put light pressure
I've personally had my hands on hundreds of 04-earlier Tri-Ax shifters in the past 12 years here, never heard a single one squeak. Would have been nice to have taken a look at that shifter. [/quote]

felt cheap to me
Thats an interesting observation, since there is nothing cheap about billet construction. I'm sure the others here who have like our shifter might disagree on that, we certainly do.

Best thing is to try and drive a car with both and see what you like. Try it for yourself.
Thats about the only thing I can agree on.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:06 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Our shifter is shorter than stock even in the upper position, so I have no idea why someone would even think its close to stock. Even in the upper position its noticeably shorter.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:08 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by H0SS302
Exactly...

I would rather have FIRM, direct shifts, than having a shorter handle..and harder gear change. I can rest my elbow on the center console and just move my wrist through every gear.. comfortable, and gets the job done.

MGW can suck off.

lol
Firm direct shifts is exactly what you get from the Tri-Ax. And yes it does take a good bit more effort to make gear changes when a shifter is TOO short. That was the idea in offering the upper handle position. Better leverage for smoother shifting.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:44 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

How on earth does a shifter squeak? That doesnt even make sense; there is nothing about a shifter that would make it squeak with "light pressure". Its just a lever, there is no rotating/vibrating parts to it to cause a squeak. Sounds like your TOB was the problem. I can make my TOB make noise with the shifter in certain positions.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:05 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

im sure the tri-ax is a fine shifter. i've heard many people compliment it.

as for my experience, i've only used an mgw and loved it on the first car. i liked it so much that i don't feel a need to try something else, which is why there is one on the cobra. lol

Quick Reply: Steeda Short Shifter????