4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What would you buy?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wiegand
Buying a mustang tomorrow (Was supposed to be today but bank is closed...)

I have around 4500 to play with. Atleast 4, but possibly 4500-5000.

What would you guys do?
I planned on supercharging it, but this seemed to be a stupid idea as this is my first mustang. I'm 18 and just recently learned how to drive 5 speed, so i'm no professional driver.

Info on car i'm getting:

18inch FR500 rims 18x9 in the front 18x10 in the back wrapped in New Bridge Stone Potenzas
Caster Caber Kit with recent alignment
Sport Line springs 1 1/2 drop
4 inch fiber trend hood
8000 HID headlight bulbs
OEM 03/04 Cobra front bumper
Full Bassiani Exhaust
SLP longtube headers
New RAM clutch and heavy duty clutch plate
40,000 Mile tremec 3650 trans
New UPR solid upper and lower control arms
TrickFlow pletum
K&N cold air intake
Steeda Tri Ax short throw shifter
White face AC and Speedo Gauges
Everything new in the rear end with new Clutch packs and 4:10 GEAR
Car is real clean inside and out no rips no tears inside car did have a spoiler i still have it but it doesnt look good with the hood so the trunk does have plugs in the spoiler holes
Everything works heat and ac
also has new Bilstein shocks on the front and i have almost new tokico shocks for the rear that i have not installed yet.
The Car has 120,000 miles on it but you would know that by driving it, it pulls really hard in every gear and handles great
from everything you just said is on the car and you are only 18 years old HOLD off on getting a blower just drive the car and get used to it for awhile. If you want an extremely loud exhaust you alread have plenty done in exhaust mods on it and it should have a good tone to it, but if you want obnoxious then just get slp lm1 but make sure you keep the mufflers you pull off bc eventually you may get tired of those slp's. the slp's should run you around $180. Set the rest of that money aside for the future but just get used to driving that car as is before you throw a blower on it. Some will advise you to supercharge it but I wouldnt if I was you at that age you feel me. take your time and hold onto that money.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Agree with rockwell hold off for awhile and get used to the car. Your only 18 so you do not have much driving experience under your belt. Just my opinion. And I would assume your insurance is going to be alot more then what you were paying on the jeep.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Wiegand

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
Agree with rockwell hold off for awhile and get used to the car. Your only 18 so you do not have much driving experience under your belt. Just my opinion. And I would assume your insurance is going to be alot more then what you were paying on the jeep.
Well I paid 250 a month on a jeep? Lmao... Don't ****ing ask me how...
Their wanting 160$ a month for full coverage.

Also I'm actually looking at an 03 blue GT in the forsale section, Can't decide which I like more...
Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by Wiegand
Buying a mustang tomorrow (Was supposed to be today but bank is closed...)

I have around 4500 to play with. Atleast 4, but possibly 4500-5000.

What would you guys do?
I planned on supercharging it, but this seemed to be a stupid idea as this is my first mustang. I'm 18 and just recently learned how to drive 5 speed, so i'm no professional driver.

Info on car i'm getting:

18inch FR500 rims 18x9 in the front 18x10 in the back wrapped in New Bridge Stone Potenzas
Caster Caber Kit with recent alignment
Sport Line springs 1 1/2 drop
4 inch fiber trend hood
8000 HID headlight bulbs
OEM 03/04 Cobra front bumper
Full Bassiani Exhaust
SLP longtube headers
New RAM clutch and heavy duty clutch plate
40,000 Mile tremec 3650 trans
New UPR solid upper and lower control arms
TrickFlow pletum
K&N cold air intake
Steeda Tri Ax short throw shifter
White face AC and Speedo Gauges
Everything new in the rear end with new Clutch packs and 4:10 GEAR
Car is real clean inside and out no rips no tears inside car did have a spoiler i still have it but it doesnt look good with the hood so the trunk does have plugs in the spoiler holes
Everything works heat and ac
also has new Bilstein shocks on the front and i have almost new tokico shocks for the rear that i have not installed yet.
The Car has 120,000 miles on it but you would know that by driving it, it pulls really hard in every gear and handles great
In another thread you mentioned the same thing,4500 to spend, and you wanted to do exhaust to this car but now it has longtubes and full exhuast??????????
Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Wiegand

Originally Posted by uberstang1
In another thread you mentioned the same thing,4500 to spend, and you wanted to do exhaust to this car but now it has longtubes and full exhuast??????????
I think people got the wrong idea. I have 4500 to spend, but not on exhaust, I was just saying I had plenty to spend. I just love a good exhaust system.

Also I stated it had longtubes and full exhaust, but not sure i'm getting this car, probably getting the blue one on the "Forsale" section. Just waiting on him to finish the rear end.

I think i'm going to get a cobra rear bumper, and be done with it. Till I'm ready for a blower.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:51 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

the one ur looking at is really nice, has a decent amount of mileage but it was probly taken care of. putting a cobra bumper is stupid unless u get it shaved
Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCxQubed
the one ur looking at is really nice, has a decent amount of mileage but it was probly taken care of. putting a cobra bumper is stupid unless u get it shaved
It is not stupid if he is doing it because HE wants to. It is only stupid if he is doing it because someone else told him THEY thought he should.

It is your car man! Do with it what you want to.

I think saving the money and leaving the car as is for a while is a smart idea. After driving the car for a while, you may identify an area you would like to improve while you still have the money to do it.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

I'm confused. What year is the car that you're originally trying to buy? And is it a GT or a Mach?

In any case, I paid 7K for the GT in my sig with 50K miles on it. So, with that being said, I wouldn't waste time on a GT with more than 100K miles on it with the price you're looking at. You can easily get a good GT with decent mileage for the price you're trying to pay. These GT's didn't hold their value so well anymore since the 05's came out, and now that the 11's are out too, these cars are a dime a dozen. 7K for 260 hp is pretty good, imo.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
It is not stupid if he is doing it because HE wants to. It is only stupid if he is doing it because someone else told him THEY thought he should.

It is your car man! Do with it what you want to.

I think saving the money and leaving the car as is for a while is a smart idea. After driving the car for a while, you may identify an area you would like to improve while you still have the money to do it.
having a bumper that says COBRA across the back when ur car is a gt isnt right, thats why i said get it shaved, i would get the cobra bumper if it was shaved
Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 AM
1SVTLVR
2nd Gear Member

For the money, I vote hold off on buying a GT and like it has been said before get a Mach 1 or a Cobra. Get something that starts off with a lot of power. Parts for them aren't 3x more expensive and they respond better to the mods than a GT will. If this is your first Mustang and you have that type of money to spend I definately recommend buying a 4V! You'll have to rebuild the motor in the GT to ever make any serious HP, or you'll have to run unsafe boost. Just my two coppers