4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Problems with exhaust being too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:38 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ravenatic20
Thanks for the replies. Right now I have a 2002 GT, all stock. I am not going to do the setup I mentioned above. I still want to go with an off-road x-pipe, but I am looking for chambered mufflers now.

How loud would this sound? Would chambered vs. straight through be a big difference?

What does everyone think of Pypes for an x-pipe?
Straight through Mufflers like the Power Flow are way louder than chambered Mufflers.

My friend had a pypes O/R X and cat back, he got pulled over within a month of the install.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:21 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by schmallz
Straight through Mufflers like the Power Flow are way louder than chambered Mufflers.

My friend had a pypes O/R X and cat back, he got pulled over within a month of the install.
powerflos are chambered. Im getting the powerflos and a catted x, i dont really like having such a loud catback like lm1's and i would rather have the gains of a midpipe. look at magnaflow magnapacks theyre really nice, a friend of mine has them with a catted x ands its pretty loud, sounds really nice too
Old 01-18-2011, 05:18 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Sound quality is ALL personal preference!!!
O/R mid-pipes will be quite a bit louder than catted mid-pipes. As mentioned above, the MAC ProChamber is a real nice mid-pipe that gives a nice compromise of sound and flow. Generally, straight thru mufflers will be fairly loud as well. Clips on line may give you some idea, but they really don't provide all of the real life sound you need to fully assess how it sounds (inside the car as well as out).

I am currently running long tube headers, O/R H, and Flowmaster 3 Chamber (50 series) mufflers. It sounds good and is not too loud. It sounds slightly more quiet, but a tad deeper with my MAC ProChamber installed.

GOOD LUCK in your search for the "best" exhaust for your car!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCxQubed
powerflos are chambered. Im getting the powerflos and a catted x, i dont really like having such a loud catback like lm1's and i would rather have the gains of a midpipe. look at magnaflow magnapacks theyre really nice, a friend of mine has them with a catted x ands its pretty loud, sounds really nice too
No they aren't, I installed the cat back my self, I could look right through it...

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv110.htm

Here's a a picture with all 3 SLP resonatros/mufflers cut away to see the internals.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:28 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

No they aren't, I installed the cat back my self, I could look right through it...

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv110.htm

Here's a a picture with all 3 SLP resonatros/mufflers cut away to see the internals.
do u have an exhaust clip or could you make one by any chance, i plan on buying the same setup as u and i would like to hear it
Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Ravenatic20

At this point my plan is to do an off-road x-pipe with chambered cat-backs. I might hold off on the x-pipe for now just to save money (unless this is a bad idea?). My cat-backs are starting to rust through so they are a priority.

I will check out some of the AM clips later. I have been at work all day (so I haven't really had the chance to listen to anything) and I just got home, but I need my sleep.

Any other thoughts? Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:19 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I think doing just the cat-back first is a good idea!
That will give you a taste of what the mufflers sound like before you ruin them with the O/R X-pipe (only partially kidding on the ruining comment). Adding an O/R X with chambered mufflers WILL result in resonance and a raspy sound. Some guys like that though, so it may be just what you are looking for.
NOTE: I ran that set-up for two days before I had to have a pair of high flow cats welded in to stop the raspiness and resonance (it was not a sound I wanted from my car). I later bought a MAC ProChamber mid-pipe which really made the car sound good, without the raspiness or resonance.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCxQubed
do u have an exhaust clip or could you make one by any chance, i plan on buying the same setup as u and i would like to hear it
By all means, some time after work tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

By all means, some time after work tomorrow.
thanks man
Old 01-19-2011, 12:40 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

I agree with trueblue...id just get the catback and then you can get an idea of what it sounds like before you spend money on something that you MAY not like.

Quick Reply: Problems with exhaust being too loud?