4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Problems with exhaust being too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Ravenatic20

Default Problems with exhaust being too loud?

I am going to replace most of my exhaust. I definitely need to replace the cat-backs soon. I wanted to do the mid-pipe too. I was going to do an off-road x-pipe. I was also going to do a SLP Loudmouth II cat-back with straight-through mufflers. Needless to say it is going to be loud.

Has anyone done anything similar to this? I am worried about it being too loud, and getting pulled over for it. Is there a website with state regulations for exhaust sound? Are they all the same?

EDIT: updated cat-back type.

Last edited by Ravenatic20; 01-18-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

go on youtube and listen to videos. Your setup will be on the loud side. Keep it down with a catted midpipe and a full size muffler if you are worried about sound level.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:47 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

your car will sound VERY loud and raspy with that X and LM's.

If you are worried about sound levels, look into a prochamber mid-pipe. Catless but still offers somewhat of a option to quiet your exhaust down.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

What setup are you running now? LM 2's and a o/r x will be fairly loud. When i had my SSS Adrenalines (similar to LM 2's in terms of loudness and design) i tried a o/r h with it and didn't like it...raspy, tinny, loud, etc. Maybe a good o/r x would be better.

IMO, most straight through type mufflers, that are fairly loud, sound better with a catted mid pipe.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Ravenatic20

Thanks for the replies. Right now I have a 2002 GT, all stock. I am not going to do the setup I mentioned above. I still want to go with an off-road x-pipe, but I am looking for chambered mufflers now.

How loud would this sound? Would chambered vs. straight through be a big difference?

What does everyone think of Pypes for an x-pipe?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Most of us would agree that chambered mufflers sound better with the h pipe, and straight through types are better suited to the x pipe. However, it's all subject to personal preference. It's the combonation of all the exhaust components that's going to determine the tone, loudness, etc. Not just the mufflers.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Ravenatic20

So chambered mufflers with an x-pipe would not sound good? I want a deep sound, but I don't want a ricer sound. I want it to sound beastly.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:43 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

It could sound good to you. Just not the normal preference. With an offroad pipe and any catback, the sound wont be ricer, not off of a v8. check youtube. search mustang exhaust, or lm2s with x pipe, etc. listen and see what u think and like
Old 01-18-2011, 02:52 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

I think an o/r x w/ LM2s sounds pretty darn good. It will be raspy but it will still have some tone.

I can't tell you how many exhaust clips ive listened to when i wanted exhaust.

I used to have a o/r h and flowmasters and it was SEXY the trademark mustang sound...NOW i have the o/r h w/ dynomax bullets and its just EVIL haha. REALLY loud
Old 01-18-2011, 03:36 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ravenatic20
I am going to replace most of my exhaust. I definitely need to replace the cat-backs soon. I wanted to do the mid-pipe too. I was going to do an off-road x-pipe. I was also going to do a SLP Loudmouth II cat-back with straight-through mufflers. Needless to say it is going to be loud.

Has anyone done anything similar to this? I am worried about it being too loud, and getting pulled over for it. Is there a website with state regulations for exhaust sound? Are they all the same?

EDIT: updated cat-back type.
The LM IIs are resonators, not mufflers. Were you thinking of the SLP Power Flos? Those are straight through mufflers. The best thing is you can swap them out very easily if you want to.

Check out American Muscle, the exhaust section has plenty of clips for you to study.

Quick Reply: Problems with exhaust being too loud?