4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Best tires in the 295-305 range

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:39 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

ask the wife if wider is better. go from there.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
the KDW 2's in my opinion, are the nastiest looking tires out there right now...I LOVE the tread pattern on them!
Agreed, I can't decide if it's a flame or some kind of dinosaur skin but the tread pattern is a head turner, and the clean side walls do alot for the whole car IMO.

The wet traction is very good, too.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:33 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

So it it decided that it would be better to get a 295 in a Nitto or BFG or get a 305 in a "sportier" tire that doesn't perform in the rain as well (like the toyo R888 or some other brand im open to opinions)??
Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Dunno if Michelin Pilot Sport Pro A/S comes in that size. But that's my current favorite all weather tire. It's comparable I think to the BFG KDWs. They grip well and handle noticeable better in the rain than my last tires. And they are rated for 45k miles, most other similar tires are only good for about 30k max...
Old 01-19-2011, 02:23 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
Dunno if Michelin Pilot Sport Pro A/S comes in that size. But that's my current favorite all weather tire. It's comparable I think to the BFG KDWs. They grip well and handle noticeable better in the rain than my last tires. And they are rated for 45k miles, most other similar tires are only good for about 30k max...
The KDWs aren't all season. Unless you live in San Diego. :P

All season tires aren't designed to do what ultra high performance tires are designed to do.

Wet traction is amazing in these things, and the dry traction/conerning is beyond amazing.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:54 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
I vote BFG KDW 2's 100%....Those are my next set of tires on my Saleens.
Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
I think I agree with the other guys on the BFG KDW2's...
I know a couple of guys who run them and they REALLY like them a lot. They also should perform decent in wet conditions.
KDW2's are noisy as hell and are probably not the best way to go if youre wanting performance. 295 NT05's are a fantastic tire, from first hand experience. They ride awesome, hook awesome, handle awesome, and are very quiet tires. Also, the INVO would be another good suggestion for you. They will last longer than the NT05's but will not hook as well.

Also, I didnt see anywhere in your post where you're worried about tread life. You also need to address that aspect of your tire decision. I drove 15000 miles within the last year and my NT05's still have a slight bit of life left in them when they came off. Lets just say they are about perfect for auto-x or open track ready but they went out in about 12000 miles if i had to guess. But so far, I only hear you talking about how well the tire hooks and how well it does in the rain. IIRC, you've been lately concerned with funds, and a good hooking street tire is going to cost a little bit more and not last as long as other tires. With the setup you have, and the size tire you're looking at, I'd suggest you stay away from the Toyo's competition tires like the R888's and the RA1's unless you find a great deal on them like I did.

With that said, here's the choices of the different styles that you seem to be choosing from...

Normal speed rated street tires
BFG KDW2 (300 UTQG)
Toyo T1R (280 UTQG)
Nitto INVO (260 UTQG)

Max performance street tires
Toyo RA1 (100 UTQG)
Toyo R888 (100 UTQG)
Nitto NT05 (200 UTQG)
Kuhmo XS (315/30 width and 180 UTQG)

I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting, but from personal experience, KDW2's are loud, NT05's are very quiet, RA1's are very tame and grippy, and thats about it. Oh, and NT555's last a long time but dont quite hold up well to 4.10's.

Good luck with your choice! And remember to address all concerns of choosing a tire, not just some, especially when on a budget.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:49 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
KDW2's are noisy as hell and are probably not the best way to go if youre wanting performance. 295 NT05's are a fantastic tire, from first hand experience. They ride awesome, hook awesome, handle awesome, and are very quiet tires. Also, the INVO would be another good suggestion for you. They will last longer than the NT05's but will not hook as well.

Also, I didnt see anywhere in your post where you're worried about tread life. You also need to address that aspect of your tire decision. I drove 15000 miles within the last year and my NT05's still have a slight bit of life left in them when they came off. Lets just say they are about perfect for auto-x or open track ready but they went out in about 12000 miles if i had to guess. But so far, I only hear you talking about how well the tire hooks and how well it does in the rain. IIRC, you've been lately concerned with funds, and a good hooking street tire is going to cost a little bit more and not last as long as other tires. With the setup you have, and the size tire you're looking at, I'd suggest you stay away from the Toyo's competition tires like the R888's and the RA1's unless you find a great deal on them like I did.

With that said, here's the choices of the different styles that you seem to be choosing from...

Normal speed rated street tires
BFG KDW2 (300 UTQG)
Toyo T1R (280 UTQG)
Nitto INVO (260 UTQG)

Max performance street tires
Toyo RA1 (100 UTQG)
Toyo R888 (100 UTQG)
Nitto NT05 (200 UTQG)
Kuhmo XS (315/30 width and 180 UTQG)

I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting, but from personal experience, KDW2's are loud, NT05's are very quiet, RA1's are very tame and grippy, and thats about it. Oh, and NT555's last a long time but dont quite hold up well to 4.10's.

Good luck with your choice! And remember to address all concerns of choosing a tire, not just some, especially when on a budget.
Teej, the only people I hear complaining about the noise levels on these tires are Infiniti and BMW owners etc. This should not be an issue for a Mustang guy.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea i mean im willing to spend the money on tires since they are a pretty important component. I had the BFGs and couldn't honestly notice the noise. And with my exhaust it won't be a factor haha.

But how much do those Toyos cost normally?? I just really like the sound of a 305 lol
Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

R888's are $320/tire and the RA1's(which are a better all around tire and are better at the track than the R888's from what I hear) are $365/tire for the 305/35R18.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:59 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I wish I had you guy's money... I could never spend $800 to put one pair of tires on my car. Especially if they would only last 12,000 miles. More power to you guys with all the money

Quick Reply: Best tires in the 295-305 range