4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Teej on short throw shifters

Old 01-22-2011, 08:43 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Default Teej on short throw shifters

This is teej checking in on first hand info on short throw shifters.

About a year and a half ago, I bought a steeda tri ax base for my t3650. Went and put it on with the stock shifter arm. After install, I noticed it was slightly shorter but I was not overly satisfied. It was shorter but I'm glad I only paid $50 for it.

Fast forward to today. A friend of mine ended up having a pro 5.0 handle laying around so I got it from him to put on my tri ax base. Upon install, I was dumbfounded! The shift was WORLDS shorter!!!

Image for reference to stock handle...

I don't know if any of you guys have ever driven a car with just a STS base only or not, but the secret of the sts is in the handle. For those with older pre-01, I recommend just replacing the whole shifter assembly, as I know the t45 shifter bases have terrible alignment springs and are just terrible. But for those with t3650's, the stock shifter has a decent alignment spring and such and arent that bad. I'd say it's pretty safe to say that you all with a t3650 would be just fine with just buying a handle of your choice. That alone is where the "short throw" of an sts really is.

This is what I've found from my car. Just thought I'd share because it could probably save some people some money.

Teej
Old 01-22-2011, 08:54 PM
GEARHEAD94
1st Gear Member

I made my own short shifter handle at work. I will get a picture of it.. I took a half inch piece of square stock,drilled two holes,heated it and bent. welded a bolt on top for the shift ****.It made a huge difference in shifting.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:51 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

LOL TJ it's all physics man....the base will be the precision and centering springs and the handle is where the shortness comes from...

Should have taken a stock handle and cut it half! lol
Old 01-22-2011, 11:34 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Got the pro 5.0 handle free. Lol why go through the hastle of cutting it? And to be honest, the stock shifter on my car felt almost identical to the tri ax base. The aftermarket handle is where the precision comes from really. The base might be slightly stronger spring but a majority of what an sts really is is the handle. It's almost a waste in my mind to buy the whole shifter if you have the stock shifter that has a good alignment spring already like the 01+ cars do.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:13 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Teej you are absolutely crazy in thinking the stock shifter feels anything like the Steeda Triax and you are crazy in saying the base doesn't affect the throw distance.

I hope you enjoy your poor man's STS setup.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Seriously?

The base makes the precision. Adjustable stops are a great thing. The SHORT part is the handle. I can't believe you would think that adding the Steeda base to a stock handle would do anything for making quicker shifts.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

ive said it before and ill say it again. pro 5.0 ftw hahaha
Old 01-23-2011, 09:17 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea man i mean i LOVE my MGW...people get in my car and can hardly drive it it's so tight haha. Def something to get used to but damn can you slam the gears.

And yea i thought the base helped w/ the quickness but the handle just was a styling/better looking thing.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

When I switched from my T45 to my TR3650 I had to sell my Pro 5.0 STS because they are not cross compatible. I still had my Tri-Ax shifter handle though so I just put it on the stock shifter base. Honestly, I can't tell a difference between the 5.0 base with my Tri-Ax handle vs my stock base with the tri-ax handle.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:28 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

^^^thats exactly what I'm saying here people!!! Wannabe, you had a t45. Those shifters stock were crap. I had a stock shifter in my 98 gt and it was terribly sloppy! But if you ever drive a t3650 car, you'll realize the shifter is worlds better stock. I even put that in the post if you read it completely.

T45 require overall shifter assembly change.

T3650 require just a handle to achieve the sts feel.

And I could tell a slight difference in the shifting from stock base to tri ax base. Not enough to warrant paying retail for a new one without the handle by far though for a t3650 car. For a t45 car, without a doubt. But for a t3650 I find no real reason to buy the base. Buy the handle of your choice first. If that doesn't satisfy you, then buy the base. But first hand, the biggest difference is felt from the handle, not the base on a t3650.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Teej on short throw shifters