4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Exhaust decibel levels?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:21 AM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust decibel levels?????

Would anybody happen to know the decibel levels of a O/R H pipe with stock manifolds and stock catback be? The car is 2004 Gt. I would like to know idle, about 2500 rpms and WOT. I would also appreciate if anyone had any decibel levels for any exhaust.

Thank you.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:34 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Not sure about any decibel numbers, but a o/r h with stock cat back won't be bad at all. My buddy did that a few years back, and it sounded much better than stock, but still pretty tame IMO.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:46 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea i mean i wouldn't worry about the noise too much. It won't be too loud at all.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:26 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

I know how loud it is from the outside lol. But from the inside, can you here yourself talk at idle or highway speeds?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:39 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea man i can talk in my car and i have LTs, O/R H, and dynomax bullets AND 3.73s so im at about 2200 at cruising speed (70mph). I think you'll be fine.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:43 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

If you are worried about whether you will be able to hold a conversation in the car, Toyota has a great product that many seem to like. Toyota calls it the Prius.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

lmao!!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:00 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
If you are worried about whether you will be able to hold a conversation in the car, Toyota has a great product that many seem to like. Toyota calls it the Prius.
I love a loud car. The problem is that in the case that my dad has to drive it, he always has that stupid bluetooth thing and he'll get pist if he can't hear anything. The prius sucks.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:52 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Radio Shack has a couple of sound level meters that are reasonably priced and reasonably accurate--one with an analog meter, one digital.

I have a couple of the analog models, one 25 years old, that work fine and are accurate as compared to a Sper 840029 I use for serious work.

Keep in mind that when measuring sound levels distance from the source and weighting scale are everything--if they are not consistent, or corrected for, the relative levels are meaningless. The "A" and "C" weighting curves are the most commonly used, with the A curve being that most often used for statutory specifications.

A and C weighting curves:

The A scale deemphasises frequencies below 1kHz which allegedly better mimics human hearing--to our favour when the thing being measured is exhaust noise.

Are you trying to meet some statutory or regulation imposed limits?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:58 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Thanks cliff. Does anyone know if a slp II catback will be louder with stock midpipe and manifolds or a o/r h pipe with stock manifolds and stock catback?

Quick Reply: Exhaust decibel levels?????