4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Mustang GT convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 03:01 PM
matttrow6969

Default Mustang GT convertible

when i turn 16 i am buying a mustang gt convertible from 1999-2004. i was wondering what upgrades to get for performance and what should i get for the interior to make it look better? also i was wondering what exhaust setup should i get?
links to the products would be great and thank you for taking your time
thanks,
matt
Old 01-30-2011, 03:49 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Welcome! First why don't you tell us your budget, and what kind of power you'd like to make. Be a little more specific, and we'll be able to better help you. In the meantime go on You tube to listen to the 100's of exhaust clips for Mustangs. American Muscle is a good site for most stuff too.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:21 PM
matttrow6969

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Welcome! First why don't you tell us your budget, and what kind of power you'd like to make. Be a little more specific, and we'll be able to better help you. In the meantime go on You tube to listen to the 100's of exhaust clips for Mustangs. American Muscle is a good site for most stuff too.
well im acturlly still deciding now if i should still get the gt or the v6 because i dont know how much insurance will be when im 16 do you have an idea?
Old 01-30-2011, 04:38 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I don't have a clue sorry. For me my stang was no more to insure than my Honda Accord, but i'm in my 30's lol.

IMO, do what you have to do to get the gt. It's far more worth it.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:39 PM
matttrow6969

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I don't have a clue sorry. For me my stang was no more to insure than my Honda Accord, but i'm in my 30's lol.

IMO, do what you have to do to get the gt. It's far more worth it.
okay yeah probrally will. how do u feel about the flowmaster 40 on the gt my dad has it on his silverado
Old 01-30-2011, 05:20 PM
FordRacerGT

If you can afford a v6 you can afford a GT. Their not much more on insurance. At your age a geo metro will be through the roof now days haha. It will be cheaper because your dad will have to have it in his name anyways. As far as performance.. and dont take this the wrong way... I'd get a coupe. They are lighter than the convertibles and handle better. You can do more things in a coupe. But if verts what you really want.. go for it. Ill start by saying that 3.73 gears are the best mod you can get by far without putting any unnecessary strain to your engine... or your wallet. Get ford racing gears they are cut using durable material and are also known to be the quietest. If you want performance, get gears, a cold air intake, and maybe some flowmaster mufflers. Thats what i did to my 02 GT and it will spank a stock one by a longshot. You can even go with some 3.90s if you want. Hope this helps and welcome to the mustang world!!! One more thing... you WILL BE AMAZED at how much faster your GT is when you upgrade from the stock 3.27s to the 3.73s. hehe
Old 01-30-2011, 06:53 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

For style I would add a light/style bar. I got mine from abcexclusives and I'm very happy with it.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:00 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordRacerGT
If you can afford a v6 you can afford a GT. Their not much more on insurance. At your age a geo metro will be through the roof now days haha. It will be cheaper because your dad will have to have it in his name anyways. As far as performance.. and dont take this the wrong way... I'd get a coupe. They are lighter than the convertibles and handle better. You can do more things in a coupe. But if verts what you really want.. go for it. Ill start by saying that 3.73 gears are the best mod you can get by far without putting any unnecessary strain to your engine... or your wallet. Get ford racing gears they are cut using durable material and are also known to be the quietest. If you want performance, get gears, a cold air intake, and maybe some flowmaster mufflers. Thats what i did to my 02 GT and it will spank a stock one by a longshot. You can even go with some 3.90s if you want. Hope this helps and welcome to the mustang world!!! One more thing... you WILL BE AMAZED at how much faster your GT is when you upgrade from the stock 3.27s to the 3.73s. hehe
gear ratio is a preference so its up to u on, and cold air intake is a waste of money, all u need is a filter, but ur also gonna need a tuner for the gears good luck getting ur car
Old 01-30-2011, 08:09 PM
FordRacerGT

You dont need a tuner for your gears. I didnt touch my computer when i had 3.73s installed. The gears cost $140 from american muscle i think... i got a new bearing kit to go with it for like $25 and i got them installed for $300. I know a few people with 3.73s and 4.10s and none of them have tunes... just saying.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:03 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by matttrow6969
okay yeah probrally will. how do u feel about the flowmaster 40 on the gt my dad has it on his silverado
They're probably the most popular muffler for the Mustang, and for good reason...they sound great! As long as you don't mind sounding like every other stang out there (not necessarily a bad thing) then i'd go for it.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT convertible