4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

looking for second mustang- new edge gt reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:38 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Default looking for second mustang- new edge gt reliable?

Having to look for another car, my 2000 v6 gave out at 192k miles. I'm stuck between a new edge GT or s197 v6s (pricing). After reading reviews on both I've seen an equal amount of problems, but more of the same common problems on the 05-09's. How reliable are the 99-04 gt's? I've heard concern that the GT is aluminum block and v6 is iron with aluminum heads so the GT's need refining with the cylinders after some time. Can anyone share their experience with theirs? It'll have to be my daily driver for awhile.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 AM
everett
2nd Gear Member

My 2000 gt has 100k and I have replaced clutch. If not overdone these motors will last forever. I spray up to 150 hp shot and not even a hiccup. They are efficient for a v8 and love to rev and seem to be in their glory above 3000 rpm. Go for it. As long as it was maintained well it will last
Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

That's the review I like to hear thanks Everett, I've also considered the manual as my daily driver because I thought.. Hell if the Europeans can drive manuals daily then I sure as Hell can too. But I wonder how long it'll take me to get tired of that lol..
Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I've had my 04 gt for almost 5 years now, and i haven't had one single problem to speak of. I'm also running about 200 hp over stock, and it's been 100% reliable up until now knock on wood.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I've had my 04 gt for almost 5 years now, and i haven't had one single problem to speak of. I'm also running about 200 hp over stock, and it's been 100% reliable up until now knock on wood.
Yeah I feel like I jinxed myself here because I was bragging to my friend how his car has 65k miles and he has a dead transmission and I had 192k going strong, then damaged a balance shaft haha... guess that's karma. What mods u running to get 200 HP over stock? I would love having that power and having it last that long.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NewEdgeStang00
That's the review I like to hear thanks Everett, I've also considered the manual as my daily driver because I thought.. Hell if the Europeans can drive manuals daily then I sure as Hell can too. But I wonder how long it'll take me to get tired of that lol..
At least 20 years... I've had one manual or another for my DDs since I was 17, not tired of it yet!

As has been said, you take the proper care of these, and there's nothing really particular to worry about. They can last. The trick is knowing if the previous owners took the proper care of it first...
Old 02-01-2011, 12:36 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NewEdgeStang00
Yeah I feel like I jinxed myself here because I was bragging to my friend how his car has 65k miles and he has a dead transmission and I had 192k going strong, then damaged a balance shaft haha... guess that's karma. What mods u running to get 200 HP over stock? I would love having that power and having it last that long.
Basically i have full bolt ons, cams, and a 100 shot of nitrous. It's all in my sig. Even at this power, i'm still on the stock clutch too lol.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:56 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Basically i have full bolt ons, cams, and a 100 shot of nitrous. It's all in my sig. Even at this power, i'm still on the stock clutch too lol.
Thanks, I'm stuck at my girls house so I've been viewing the mobile version of the forums on my phone so I can't see sigs. I'll check it out when I'm not held hostage here because of the snow lol. And yes the thing that always worries me also is the car's history, i'll have to do a trade in with a dealer and from my experience with used cars sitting on dealers lot.. its pretty much rotting from the inside out.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:59 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

The 4.6 is a very reliable engine. Remember the same basic engine is pushing Taxi's and Police cars around (I've heard of Taxi's with 500K on them). As with most cars they start getting unreliable when they are not taken care of or modified and not properly tuned
Old 02-01-2011, 02:09 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Thanks! Yeah I know over in the v6 section mabbitt is close to 600k miles. I was wondering how the all aluminum engine does in the long run. Thanks for the reassurance

Quick Reply: looking for second mustang- new edge gt reliable?