4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

welding axle tubes vs axle brace

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

Default welding axle tubes vs axle brace

im going to be building up my rear end and plan on throwing some slicks on it. i've read how welding the axle tubes to the housing will strengthen them and keep them from spinning and/or coming out. i was originally going to do that but when i went to Currie Enterprises to get a quote they told me they dont weld axles tubes because it puts so much stress on the housing and it will eventually crack. this car is a daily driver still so im sure there will be a lot of stress from driving on the street.

i started researching this and found that CHE Performance makes a brace for the rear end so that you dont have to weld the tubes(still can but not needed). i dont want to buy it just yet without hearing what people have to say about it. anyone have one or had one before? if so i would love your unput.

here is a link to the brace:
http://www.cheperformance.com/CartGenie/prod-33.htm
Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 PM
AYEOH5.0
3rd Gear Member

I run this brace on my foxbody. http://www.cheperformance.com/CartGenie/prod-289.htm

Seems to hold up, i daily drove the car with the 347 beating the **** out of it on the streets for 2 years.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

http://www.americanmuscle.com/swarr-...edium=Shopping
Another^
Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by Eduardo
i went to Currie Enterprises to get a quote they told me they dont weld axles tubes because it puts so much stress on the housing and it will eventually crack.
Never heard that before
Cheaper to run an aftermarket bar as getting axle tubes welded and done correctly requires the removal of the axle housing from the chassis
Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AYEOH5.0
I run this brace on my foxbody. http://www.cheperformance.com/CartGenie/prod-289.htm

Seems to hold up, i daily drove the car with the 347 beating the **** out of it on the streets for 2 years.
i really leaning more towards that one. did you actually feel a difference? i saw that someone said it made his rear feel more solid.

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Never heard that before
Cheaper to run an aftermarket bar as getting axle tubes welded and done correctly requires the removal of the axle housing from the chassis
neither had i. i just said crap when he told me that. but i think i am going to go with the brace. but i think i might still have the tubes welded as well since i am taking it out of the car and sending it to currie.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 PM
AYEOH5.0
3rd Gear Member

Car had it when i bought it, but i tell you what. A stock 8.8 would of been toast the way i drove that thing.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

There is in no way any harmful effect from welding the tubes, the 8 second mustang that run nmra generally all have welded tubes. You would need an EXTREME amount of torque and stickey to actually crack the housing and even with that power you have a better chance of twising the axle tubes even with the brace than cracking a housing.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:23 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Even so, you would need a serious axle shaft to not break before the housing breaks.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Weld 'em up!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:29 AM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

I welded mine in my driveway 2 years ago and haven't had any problems. I only had half of one side welded for a long time until recently I swap suspension and fully welded it. I never noticed any difference with them welded or not

Quick Reply: welding axle tubes vs axle brace