4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What springs to lower my DD?

Old 02-14-2011, 03:14 PM
SVT_Jay

I have Steeda Sport Springs on my '97 Cobra and my wife's '94 Convertible and we both love them. I didn't use the front insulators to get the extra 1/4 inch drop in the front.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-s...d-mustang.html

I also had them on a fox body coupe drag car and it looked great, but I ended up taking them off because it hurt my 60 foot times. The problem came from lowering the car which reduces the anti-squat of the rear suspension. Anti-squat uses the torque on the axle to push the rear body and tire apart during a drag launch. Since the body is heavy, the rear tire is forced into the ground. When you lower the body at the rear, you lose anti-squat and the car doesn't launch as hard. I fixed this by changing to the Steeda Drag Springs which raised the car back up.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-d...d-mustang.html

I have also heard of people using lowering springs with Lakewood rear control arms to get a lower ride height with the benefits of anti-squat.

http://www.lakewoodindustries.com/Pr...minselection=0

It depends on what is most important to you and how much you want to spend...

Jay
Old 02-14-2011, 08:43 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I completely understand being on a tight budget, but I would not recommend installing springs with a significantly higher spring rate if you plan to keep the stock shocks/struts. The first thing I would try if budget is TIGHT is simply cutting "a little bit" off the stock springs. You can reduce the fender gap a little without increasing the spring rate very much at all. This would allow you to keep the stock shocks/struts.

Another good approach is too find a set of Bullitt or similar take-off springs and shocks from a guy who has upgraded with more expensive equipment. Those springs can also be cut down "a little" and the handling improvement will be noticable without spending much money.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

IMO...I like the Ford Racing C Springs.
In my sig is my GT lowered with these springs all ISO in.
Lowered front about a 1 1/2 rear 1 No need for CC plates.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Kahuna9889

I really appreciate the input guys. I like the way those h&rs look and way they sound like they ride. But i find myself wondering exactly what the ride quality is like with cut springs. How much can you cut off before you run into a very harsh ride and camber problems. Im not known for cutting corners but if this fills my needs till the end of summer; when i start this project I'll go ahead cut the springs this weekend. So input on how much you guys cut and what the end result is what im looking for now.

Thanks again
Tom
Old 02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
ptav22

what ones did you get. the sport coils. i was looking on the web site called tirerack.com and they have a few to choose from. but i will be buying from american muscle as we speak. i was gunna go with the red ones. they give more of a drop. what ones did you go with PURP.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:03 PM
ptav22

TOM.... I can not express this enough. DO NOT CUT YOUR SPRINGS. your gunna cost yourself more money in the end. Wait and save just a little and do it the right way. My ol'man always said..." Boy do it right the first time so you dont have to do it again"
Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ptav22
TOM.... I can not express this enough. DO NOT CUT YOUR SPRINGS. your gunna cost yourself more money in the end. Wait and save just a little and do it the right way. My ol'man always said..." Boy do it right the first time so you dont have to do it again"
^ I agree . Cutting springs is ghetto and will never get the ride quality of lowering springs.
The car will be very bouncy cutting the springs and you will wish you never did it.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

I swear I saw the words Eibach on the Ford racing C springs.
anyone know if in fact they make the springs for Ford racing or was I seeing **it ?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:31 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Like I said from the get-go....H&R SS springs and you'll never look back.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Like I said from the get-go....H&R SS springs and you'll never look back.
Hey Purp do you go to NE Drag Way ?
Like to hook up with you if so.Start are own little Mustang click at the track
I agree H&R SS spring are great if you want a drop like yours.that thing is slammed and looks great IMO.

BTW Nice Stang Purple

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What springs to lower my DD?