4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New here to the V8 section...

Old 02-15-2011, 10:22 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

Default New here to the V8 section...

Hey all, just kind of stopping in to introduce myself over here and to ask a few introductory questions as well...

I bought a 2001 V6 stang last March and just absolutely fell in love with the new edge body styling and interior soo, this week I decided to buy a 2000 GT at a price I just couldnt pass up.

Here's a little description: 2000 Oxford White GT Automatic Mustang Convertible. White rag top, black interior, with white leather seats, 42000 miles and the Mach 460 premium audio. Brand new BFGoodrich tires.

I can't even stress how immaculate this car is. It was Florida owned by an elderly couple who bought it brand new in 2000, they passed away recently and it was inherited by their son up here in the good ol' granite state, where he went and traded the car in twenty eight days after receiving the inheritance. No rust, no wear, no scratches, no swirls, no dings or dents... this thing is bone bone bone stock and very beautiful.

Now, for the questions.
I know the V6's underwent some changes in the middle of 2001 (switched to internal balancing, main girdle, spoiler style, console changes, stereo changes) blah blah, and I was just wondering if the GT's went through any similar changes, minus the cosmetics, I'm pretty comfortable saying I know about all the styling changes made, I'm just more curious about under the hood. Thank you in advance for any replies
Old 02-16-2011, 01:13 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

GT's underwent their changes in mid '01 also; different water pump pulley, injectors, tr-3650 trans, and a couple other things that escape me at the moment.

And welcome to the 4.6 section!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:15 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Welcome to 4.6
Old 02-16-2011, 06:39 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Welcome! What's under the hood maybe impressive compared to the V6, but it's not that impressive in the V8 world.

Some sort of forced induction is really the only way to get major power out of these motors. Even then you're still gonna be limited to 400-450 rwhp because of the stock internals.

Don't get me wrong i love this car too, but the motor is simply not one of its strong points.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Welcome! What's under the hood maybe impressive compared to the V6, but it's not that impressive in the V8 world.

Some sort of forced induction is really the only way to get major power out of these motors. Even then you're still gonna be limited to 400-450 rwhp because of the stock internals.

Don't get me wrong i love this car too, but the motor is simply not one of its strong points.
I agree to a point with what you said.
But the 4.6 Liter is one tough cookie.
Let not forget the 4.6 Liter 32V that motor can make some power.
So not all 4.6 are under powered.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

4.10s/longtubes/tuner/100shot/tune and you'll have a tire shredding convertible! Welcome to the V8 side...4.6General is where its at!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:05 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
4.10s/longtubes/tuner/100shot/tune and you'll have a tire shredding convertible! Welcome to the V8 side...4.6General is where its at!
+1 welcome, get 4.10s, a tune, and lower the car

4.6gerneral ftw
Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

I'm very familiar with the bolt ons route. Also with the FI, I'm piecing together an M112 setup and forged bottom end for the 6 still. I agree with the 32valve Mach 1 swap, I'm considering doing the swap if I can find one at the right price. a T-56 swap is also something I've been considering, but since I drive stop and go traffic and also having a girlfriend that drives the car, I'm okay with leaving it an auto. I'm not looking for huge power out of this. Here's what I'm thinkin, I'm shooting for about 350 HP to the wheels, let me know if I'm close

Steeda/BBK UDP
Long tubes (love my LT's on the 6)
Some sort of cat back (I like the SLP's)
Intake
Plenum
Intake spacer
P/P intake
P/P heads
A very very very mild N/A friendly cam
Custom tune
And if I HAVE to, I'll go for a 50 or 100 shot
Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Congrats on the new car... I would not spend the cash on the p&p heads... for that price you can get gears, controls arms, subframe connectors and drag radials to help your nitrous. Screw the intake spacer and just buy an aftermarket intake...

Being a vert. Exhaust, wheels, springs, Speedster cover & styling bar are a necessity...
Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

oh I already ordered my styling bar and cervinis rear seat covers. Have subframe connectors, Don't know if I'm going to do gears, I drive too much Highway I guess, unless I go with 3.55's

As far as suspension goes I was going to do tubular front end. H&R SS, either tokico or KYB shocks/struts in the front. I'm just really familar with the V6's and what it takes to get power out of those (which includes P&P heads) I have 18x9 and 18x10 Hypercoated GT-4 wheels wrapped in sumitomos on the 6 that will more than likely get transferred to the vert. I have an SCT X3 thats been used on the 6 also, so I don't think I'll be able to use it on the vert.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New here to the V8 section...