4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

03/04 COBRA or SUPERCHARGER

Old 02-15-2011, 11:48 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Default 03/04 COBRA or SUPERCHARGER

WHat makes more sense? Trading in my 02 GT (that has almost all basic bolts) for a Cobra? or should I keep the GT and just get it supercharged?

I see that if I trade for a cobra I get the whole yummy package of having a supercharged Cobra...While if I keep the GT and get the supercharger kit I could save some money overall and almost have has much power as a cobra..

what would you do? I am leaning on just keeping the GT and supercharging it.......
Old 02-16-2011, 12:02 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

I put a supercharger on my 03 GT and love it, but if I had the money I would have gotten the Cobra. Forged internals so you can do more to the Cobra without worrying about blowing stuff up.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 AM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scooter3
I put a supercharger on my 03 GT and love it, but if I had the money I would have gotten the Cobra. Forged internals so you can do more to the Cobra without worrying about blowing stuff up.
how much did they charge you to install it?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

If you can afford it and cost isn't a major factor in the decision, then you gotta go for the Cobra. Like he said above, the engine if built and can handle the boost better from the start, and the 4-valve engine is better to start with. And with all the accessory costs associated with adding a supercharger, it's usually not a cheap option. Depending on the resale value of your GT vs the cost of a Cobra, it might even come out cheaper overall. Some of the folks that have added superchargers can tell you more I'm sure.

The Eaton may not be the best supercharger around, but the car is still a blast to drive as-is. That low end torque is like a drug. For light to light, off the stop street driving, I think it's more fun than a centrifugal, but I could be wrong. And you can always improve upon it if you need more. Change the pulley or port the blower on the easier, cheaper end, or replace it with a twin screw on the pricier end...
Old 02-16-2011, 01:36 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ
how much did they charge you to install it?
I did it all myself with the help of a friend. Not that hard really, just takes time and tools. Working on the intercooler right now. There are a lot of hidden cost involved so prepare yourself for that if you go that route.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

For the amount of money I have put into the car so far I could have traded it, added the money I have spent and had a nice turn key Cobra. But the build has been fun.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:08 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

With the 03/04 cobra you get the super charger, the forged internals, and an IRS... along with a lot to build on... if it was me and I had the money, I'd go termi.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:19 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If money isn't a issue, cobra all the way.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

If money isn't a problem then i'd do the Cobra fore sure, but you could take the gt up to 420 or so rwhp, with some suspension upgrades, and it would be one hell of a ride as well.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

If money wasn't an issue I'd say Fck the Cobra and buy a lambo or a porsche 911. But this is reality. Be creative, build your car how you want it and thats it. No matter what way you cut it, whether its with the GT or Cobra, the mod bug will bite you in the *** and you will end up spending gobs of money either way.

Last edited by PurpleIcedGT; 02-16-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03/04 COBRA or SUPERCHARGER