4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Suspension suggestions... Horrible ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:01 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

heh. If my car gets any lower than it is ..then my Flowmaster mufflers are gonna be scraping the ground ALL the time.

Im happy I didnt get any lower spring...
Old 02-20-2011, 07:20 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I have the pro kit on the front and back. I put it on like 3 years ago. It did settle a little bit after a week or so, but it simply didn't drop it all that much. Certainly no 1.5" IMO. Also, the front is a tad higher than the rear.

I'm tired of going to shows and seeing all the other good looking stangs with a nice drop lol.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:29 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Honestly, springs are only going to make your ride worse. Spend the money on new shocks and struts first and foremost. Then worry about the springs. I'd rather have a functional ride that looks like a 4x4 than one thats lowered that you can hardly drive.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Hmm I didn't know the shocks and struts contributed that much to the ride quality. Lol I was waiting for you to get in here teej. What bargain brands would you recommend? This is a DD, I only enjoy it on the street so no need for awesome ones.

On a side note, I hear a metal on metal clang whenever my rear wheels go over a speed bump. Any idea what that could be?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I hope you're kidding. Lol shocks and struts are mainly what give you a ride quality. They are what dampen the force of the bumps and uneven pavement and such. Springs just limit how much you shocks and struts can move.

Tokico blues would probably be a decent damper for you I'd say. A hell of a lot better than you're stockers by leaps and bounds
Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
It took about one month for my Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs to
fully settle.I measured my wheel gap before with the stock Ford
4X4 springs and after with the Eibach Pro Kit lower springs installed
and after one month when my Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs completely
settle the drop was 1.4-1.5" all around.Also the ride quality of the Eibach
Pro Kit lowering springs is very close to the stock Ford 4X4 springs when
compairing them to other lowering springs out there.
My friend that has the H&R Supersport lowering springs on his 01 mustang
is always scrapping his mid pipe,mufflers,and bottoming out on the bottom of his longtube headers going over speed bumps,inclines,and uneven roads.
The stock 4X4 height is absolutely horrendous though.
I would never lower my mustang more than 1.5" all around.
Wait so, are you talking about the Eibach Pro Kit?

Last edited by PurpleIcedGT; 02-21-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Wait so, are you talking about the Eibach Pro Kit?
With an H and R spring on his 12 speed huffy, the rear frame used to scrap pulling into the chipendales customer parking lot.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Sorry, what I meant to say was that I thought the springs mattered a little bit more in comparison to shocks/struts. AM seems to have a pretty good deal on them now. Teej, did you have any rear tire rubbing issues with your drop before you got the IRS?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:55 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Dont get me wrong, springs play a huge part as far as ride quality is concerned. But try using an adjustable strut/shock...with a change in stiffness setting, you could DEFINITELY tell a difference. In your case, 115k miles on the stockers...has to ride horrible! You might notice a change in ride height when you change shocks and struts as well as the stockers might have lost their dampening ability and sagged.

When I had 315/30R18 BFG DR's on the wheels when I got them, I didnt have any rubbing issues, and BFG's run the widest of all tire manufactures that I know of.

Depending on which lowering springs you would go with, I would suggest to roll the fenders. H&R's, definitely do it just to be safe. Pro-kit, its up to you. I had no rubbing with mine but could be different for you.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:06 PM
harbre32
2nd Gear Member

i have the H&R and i cant go over speed bumps due to my X pipe scraping. i love the look of it and the handling, but some times the bottoming out gets old. I cant imagine living with it as a DD

Quick Reply: Suspension suggestions... Horrible ride