4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

1999-2004 GT vs. 2005-2009 GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:06 PM
luckycbn

that and ive heard that the termis have lots of problems with the IRS

whats the real word on that?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:08 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Sorry to these years 05-09 but i do not like them at all...
Old 02-26-2011, 04:11 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Stock IRS on the termis is straight garbage. And I agree that the forged internals is a great aspect of a termi, but it is not worth the extra money spent on a termi. The stock bottom end of a termi isn't really all that impressive of a bottom end anyways. Bigger problem is they are extremely overpriced. When it comes down to it, you can buy a GT and put a built motor in it for less the cost of buying a termi in most cases. They you will have a better platform to start from for less money.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:17 PM
luckycbn

what kind of built motor do you have in mind? more specifically from what company?

another thing i liked about the termis is the tremec 6 speed, thats the same tranny they put in vipers or used to

the stock GT tranny can hold for a prebuilt performance motor?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:25 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Depends on what trans you are talking about and what your primary use is. If you plan on drag racing and really banging the gears, then any of the manual transmissions that come in these cars isn't up to par and I would really consider an automatic. If you are into road racing then the t-56 is a better transmission simply because of the improved gear ratios and that would be a good selling point of a termi.

As for motors....you can get an MMR shorblock for under 3,000 that will handle every bit of power that a termi motor will handle....probably more. I chose to go with Modular Powerhouse for my built motor. They now operate under Mr. Norm's Garage. Check them out at mrnormsgarage.com

I know for a while tey were using ProLine racing to build their bottom ends, but that is something that Tim over at Mr. Norm's could answer for you.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:30 PM
luckycbn

I appreciate the advice, the 99-04 gt with a new motor sounds like a good plan to me

and what helps is this is the cheapest option, the lower my cost to get what i want out of a stang the better my argument to present to the Mrs about it

im about to get off of work but i'll be floating around these forums more often

thanks again man
Old 02-26-2011, 04:33 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

you could get an sn95 for even cheaper and swap in a built motor.... just sayin... haha
Old 02-26-2011, 04:40 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckycbn
I appreciate the advice, the 99-04 gt with a new motor sounds like a good plan to me

and what helps is this is the cheapest option, the lower my cost to get what i want out of a stang the better my argument to present to the Mrs about it

im about to get off of work but i'll be floating around these forums more often

thanks again man

No problem man!!

Originally Posted by 98redstang
you could get an sn95 for even cheaper and swap in a built motor.... just sayin... haha
I definitely agree here. If you like the look of the 96-98s then this is definitely good option. It is a little harder to find them still in good shape. That is the only reason I haven't picked on up yet
Old 02-27-2011, 07:15 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Finding a stock 03-04 cobra with low mileage is very hard, and if you do people want a fortune for it.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 AM
luckycbn

Yeah I'm thinking that it isnt such a good idea to dump my money on a termi, im jealous of people who have one but that just makes me wanna build a gt that dusts most termis around here

which brings me to my next question, whats the biggest motor you can squeeze in an 04' body style?

and mainly what are your motor options for it? I might not go with the biggest if its mpg REALLY sucks, but I mainly want something that's gonna beat the **** out of an 06' gt that my buddy has supercharged

I got a black 06 stang before any of my buddies did and when i wrecked my old one and lost it in a divorce my buddy got one and modded it out... cant knock him, it looks good and he dusts people in houston all the time, but now i wanna smoke him because he's never let me drive it :P

Quick Reply: 1999-2004 GT vs. 2005-2009 GT