4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

O/R Midpipe questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 PM
matt1990
1st Gear Member

Default O/R Midpipe questions

so im looking at getting an o/r midpipe either a Mac H-pipe or a pypes X-pipe to go with my catback (flowmast 44's). However im concerned it maybe to loud, i havent heard a mustang in person with an off-road midpipe as far as i know, so would you guys say its alot louder then a mustang with just a catback? and are there any gains/ better throttle response when you get rid of the cats?

also yes i know how to use youtube, ive watch several videos on the sound of the exhaust, its just difficult to tell how loud the car actually is
Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Cats vs no cats is a big sound difference. Yes, the car will be loud, but it will also sound awesome. You can keep it quiet as long as you figure out the right throttle positions and RPMs to keep it at.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 PM
matt1990
1st Gear Member

thanks for the response, so basically if im leaving or coming home at eleven i wont have to worry about waking up the neihbors as long as im not hauling a** up the driveway? Cause thats basically my only concern, i want it be atleast a little louder but im not trying to **** my neihbors off
Old 02-27-2011, 09:10 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Just don't drive like a ******** and you'll be fine. Mac offroad H FTMFW.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Just don't drive like a ******** and you'll be fine. Mac offroad H FTMFW.
+1! I'm literally ordering a MAC O/R H for my 2003 GT with MAC Catbacks tonight. It will probly sound great man just google the combo and see how it sounds. With that being said I am addicted to deep V8 rumble and desperately hate nasty, raspy X-pipe V8. If I wanted a bored and stroked lawn-mower with no mufflers I would bore and stroke my lawn mower and take the muffler off.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Wow I'm an idiot.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:30 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I know they are about twice the cost, but the MAC ProChamber mid-pipes give you the best of all the mid-pipes. You get reduced sound level inside the car, plus a little reduction outside the car. You get a GREAT sound without the high pitched and raspy sound of an X-pipe, but you get a mid-pipe with flow characteristics in between the X & H pipes.

I agree that the videos are almost useless for assessing the loudness of an exhaust set-up. I have had all five configurations with my flowmaster mufflers: catted H-pipe, O/R H-pipe, catted X-pipe, O/R X-pipe, and MAC ProChamber. In order of volume from least to loudest... catted H, catted X, ProChamber, O/R H, and lastly O/R X.

The Flowmaster 44's are much louder than my 3 chamber Flowmasters, so it is hard for me to say what set-up you would be happy with. However, I would say that the 44's with any catless mid-pipe will be pretty loud. You have to REALLY stay out of the gas to keep them "quiet."

GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide to get!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I think a lot depends on the muffler your running. I have Mac LTs, Mac O/R H pipe and Magnaflow CB dumped after the mufflers and I think it's pretty quiet yet.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 PM
matt1990
1st Gear Member

i did some more looking around and i found the mac off-road h-pipe for $150 shipped and since nobody said it'll be stupid loud im just gunna order it thursday install it over the weekend and see if its a good fit (lol sound wise).

trueblue: i checked out the sound clips on the prochamber but im liking the sound of the o/r h-pipe with the 44's more adn the h-pipe's cheaper. thanks for the suggestion though

i'll post up a sound clip in the thread when i put it on, prolly gunna be a week or two
Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Getting the o/r h was a wise choice IMO. I think you're gonna really like it.

Quick Reply: O/R Midpipe questions