4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Do you run dangerously lean on the inital shot on a nitrous kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:55 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Do you see now why I asked? lol And I dont know if I'd go to Evolution Performance honestly. I heard they are real dicks to those who dont own high dollar cars like shelbys and such.
trust me they acted like D bags today when i called them. Its just the guy at performance evolution is the one that told me what this whole thread is about so i dont know if i should go to him or not. And evolution performance all i have heard about them on the performance side of things is good. I have heard they are dooshes though
Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Matt at perfromance evolution knows his stuff. He is an ex-racer, turned into a performance shop guy now. He definitely loves boost, and is definitely anti nitrous. However, he can be very helpful and a savior at times. This weekend when I was putting my 4.10s in, and needed shims, I called him up and he offered to leave a shim pack in the mailbox and I could pay him when I saw him next. Matt definitely means well, but he has his ideals about the ways to do things, but I can assure you all the cars that come out of that shop are perfect before they are returned to the customer.

I guess a good saying for this is, different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 PM
JT76

Most act like you should get down and kiss their feet for even talking to you. EFF that noise. As far as "oh hes a boost guy" so the f what, it is YOUR car do what YOU want to it. When i wanted to boost my 2V and i didnt know any better, i went to P&J speed shop in Tonawanda NY and the guy gave me a browbeating about how great kenne bell blowers were. I said no, i want a procharger. He then told me i was an idiot. I next drove 4 miles up the road to Kennedys dyno tune and told him i want a Kenne Bell and he told me i was a moron, go with a procharger. SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE one was KB dealer, the other was a Procharger dealer. What it boils down to is what they sell and what they can make the most money off of. They will make a lot more by selling you a SC kit than a nitrous kit.. A LOT MORE.... I would just buy whatever you need and install it yourself. A nitrous kit can be put on with your basic set of tools from sears. Same goes for a supercharger. Idk why a lot of you guys over pay out the @ss for parts installation. As far as the tune goes, you may be forced to suck it up and go to one of these shops. Mustang owners in my area are pretty fortunate. Every year about 10 guys or so pitch in and have one of the best tuners in the country flown up here to tune all the cars (ends up costing around $350 -400 per guy) sorry for the incoherent rant, i just hate this crap..To re cap, 99% of people i have ever met that make their living through "performance shops" are douchebags.

Last edited by JT76; 02-28-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JT76
Most act like you should get down and kiss their feet for even talking to you. EFF that noise. As far as "oh hes a boost guy" so the f what, it is YOUR car do what YOU want to it. When i wanted to boost my 2V and i didnt know any better, i went to P&J speed shop in Tonawanda NY and the guy gave me a browbeating about how great kenne bell blowers were. I said no, i want a procharger. He then told me i was an idiot. I next drove 4 miles up the road to Kennedys dyno tune and told him i want a Kenne Bell and he told me i was a moron, go with a procharger. SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE one was KB dealer, the other was a Procharger dealer. What it boils down to is what they sell and what they can make the most money off of. They will make a lot more by selling you a SC kit than a nitrous kit.. A LOT MORE.... I would just buy whatever you need and install it yourself. A nitrous kit can be put on with your basic set of tools from sears. Same goes for a supercharger. Idk why a lot of you guys over pay out the @ss for parts installation. As far as the tune goes, you may be forced to suck it up and go to one of these shops. Mustang owners in my area are pretty fortunate. Every year about 10 guys or so pitch in and have one of the best tuners in the country flown up here to tune all the cars (ends up costing around $350 -400 per guy) sorry for the incoherent rant, i just hate this crap..To re cap, 99% of people i have ever met that make their living through "performance shops" are douchebags.
Eric is a good tuner isnt he? Just dont let him touch it if you have LTs, a KB and your username is thunderhorse huh lol? I would fork over $400 for a tune from a guy like that in a heartbeat. I would have paid Fastlane Motorsports $1000 to tune mine. Not a fan of his site or how he runs it......or lets it be run if you know what I mean.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 PM
JT76

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Eric is a good tuner isnt he? Just dont let him touch it if you have LTs, a KB and your username is thunderhorse huh lol? I would fork over $400 for a tune from a guy like that in a heartbeat. I would have paid Fastlane Motorsports $1000 to tune mine. Not a fan of his site or how he runs it......or lets it be run if you know what I mean.
Eric is a great guy and did a VERY good job on some of these cars. My one friend ran ~ 500 wheel through his 3v for an entire season and it didnt blow up, that certainly says a lot. He just bought an aluminator though, so when Eric comes up next month we are crankin' up the boost
Old 02-28-2011, 07:13 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JT76
Yeah i agree a lot of tuners take advantage of people by over charging for installs, Thats why everything that has and will be done to my car will be installed by me except for tunes haha
Old 02-28-2011, 08:46 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I could go on and on and on in this thread.. but I'll play nice and keep my mouth shut.

Dont be afraid to run the nitrous. Stop askin questions and just get it going already bro
Old 02-28-2011, 08:47 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

2 things to help fix this problem....

#1 PSR made a fitting (seen on M1R) that taps into the fuel line kinda like a T which takes fuel to the fuel solenoid before the fuel rails. this cured the lean spike completely. think it was around $130

#2 im guessing your on the stock block and will only spray 100-150 shot tops. you could swap in a gt pump which will flow ~high 400s to the wheels. this will allow for more fuel to flow to the fuel rails and solenoid. if not add a BAP. this helps eliminate the fuel shortage for the couple 100th of a sec

i will be spraying a 125 shot on the stock block and swapped in the gt pump so we will see when i get it tuned shortly in the next couple months how it goes.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:55 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Alright cool thanks guys.
And trust me white fox its going lol. Just a little slower then i imagined at the beginning of the winter.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

The nitrous kit takes a weekend at the most... no excuse why its not installed

Quick Reply: Do you run dangerously lean on the inital shot on a nitrous kit?