4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Traction control wont turn off,cant smog,please help

Old 03-10-2011, 12:57 AM
slicstang

Default Traction control wont turn off,cant smog,please help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had 3 different mechanics try to figure it out with no luck,they all said take it to the dealer,they said its not generating any codes,ive had seen post on other forums with the same symtoms,i even changed the switch,it still doesnt light up when pushed,any help will be greatly appreciated.Ive heard of disabling the system with a tune,can anyone tell me how its done or who can do it??
Old 03-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

You can disable it with a handheld tuner.

I wonder if this has been done before. Is your traction control actually on?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Did they check the switch itself ?
Does the light on the swith light up at all (Off)
My GT did the same thing when I first bought it.
Replaced switch and problem was fixed.

Yes ..as Moonshine stated a hand held tuner like a SCT will turn it off for good
Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The t/c switch and indicator LED connect to the instrument cluster, which then communicates with the ABS module via the SCP (Serial Communications Protocol, OBD2) bus.

The instrument cluster senses that the t/c button has been pressed and passes that information to the ABS module as a data packet. The ABS module then toggles the state of the traction control; I.e. if it was on it shuts it off and if it was off it turns it on.

The ABS module next sends a data packet to the instrument cluster telling it to turn the indicator LED on or off.

You can see that the instrument cluster is in the middle, it may be an issue therein. If t/c was disabled in the tune the indicator LED would be on continuously (assuming it's not defective).

Here's a link to a post I made earlier this year as to how to test the t/c switch LEDs...

Last edited by cliffyk; 03-10-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:10 PM
slicstang

Default solution to the tracion control problem

ok Ive seen at least 4 people with the same issue im having in all the mustang forums,and no one has a solution yet,ive spoke to numerus shops like mustang ranch in santa clara ca,frontier ford in sunnyvale,and no one has heard of this problem,then I called fremont ford and the mechanic told me i need my abs/traction control module reflashed.I think thats the solution,now why havnt anyone posted this info yet????finally a REAL FORD mechanic who knows his mustangs
Old 03-12-2011, 01:45 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slicstang
ok Ive seen at least 4 people with the same issue im having in all the mustang forums,and no one has a solution yet,ive spoke to numerus shops like mustang ranch in santa clara ca,frontier ford in sunnyvale,and no one has heard of this problem,then I called fremont ford and the mechanic told me i need my abs/traction control module reflashed.I think thats the solution,now why havnt anyone posted this info yet????finally a REAL FORD mechanic who knows his mustangs

Not a good way to start on this forum... with 2 post.
CliffyK happens to know his Mustangs very well.
I suggest you learn to know people on here before you talk about someone trying to help you.
Maybe you should get to know Bladerunner.

Last edited by Repzard; 03-12-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:44 PM
slicstang

Default I just need my car fixed to get to work

Originally Posted by Repzard

Not a good way to start on this forum... with 2 post.
CliffyK happens to know his Mustangs very well.
I suggest you learn to know people on here before you talk about someone trying to help you.
Maybe you should get to know Bladerunner.
Dude,im not trying to offend anyone,if u were in my shoes and had no ride to work in this bad weather,would u hang around long enough to get to know all the expert mechanics to give u the correct advise in order to get ur ride fixed???I just wanna know out of all these expert mustang owners and mechanics,why havnt anyone got a solution yet,is that so offensive,just bcuz a NEWBIE is asking???...not a good way to welcome a newbie
Old 03-12-2011, 12:52 PM
slicstang

Originally Posted by Repzard
Did they check the switch itself ?
Does the light on the swith light up at all (Off)
My GT did the same thing when I first bought it.
Replaced switch and problem was fixed.

Yes ..as Moonshine stated a hand held tuner like a SCT will turn it off for good
like my post says,the switch was been replaced even tho it mite have not been the problem,no the led doenst come on so changing the switch didnt help meaning the traction is still ON,I really do appreciate all who has tried to help but my car is still down till I take it to the dealer
Old 03-12-2011, 12:54 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

Showing disrespect and attitude toward guys that almost run this site will not get you an answer. Calm down, everyone has problems. Relax and in time these guys will help you figure it out.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:57 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by slicstang
like my post says,the switch was been replaced even tho it mite have not been the problem,no the led doenst come on so changing the switch didnt help meaning the traction is still ON,I really do appreciate all who has tried to help but my car is still down till I take it to the dealer
Did this just spring up out of the blue, or after something (anything) had been changed? Did it ever work?

Was any work done on the electrical system, anywhere in the system, without the battery being disconnected? HF arc welding of the chassis or exhaust system has been known to create problems if the welder's ground is not connected to/near the component being welded.

As I said above it is the instrument cluster micro-controller that actually switches the indicator lamp, have there been any recent i/c issues?

If the problem is in the communication between the ABS module and the cluster then whoever tracks down the issue will have to have, and know how to use, Ford's IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System)--this is most likely to be a Ford dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traction control wont turn off,cant smog,please help