4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Installing cams, Cobra Brakes,tb/plenum,gears and maybe niitrous this weekend

Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Cams alone are a weekend job unless you're on crack and work through the night.

Gears take another couple hours at the quickest

Brakes will take a couple hours.

And the nitrous set up is usually a full day affair as well.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

trust me cams will take you a good 7-8 hours of steady work to get them done. Well if this is you first time doing it.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

The previous owner of the cams had them degreed. For doing the rear brakes, you need to take out the axles to get the new brackets installed. Also, the car doesn't have to be tuned for cams right away. Also, if you guys read the whole thread, you would have noticed that I said I'll be working on this during the week aswell...
Old 03-17-2011, 07:00 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I didn't catch the degreeing part when i first read this. OP, how did the previous owner have the cams degreed? If they've been degreed then you know the exact specs correct?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 AM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

cams are degreed to the engine, after all of the timing jazz is installed. You could potentially have a different came degree, and I wouldn't trust them all because "theyve been degreed before"
Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

You might want to understand what degreeing cams is before you tackle this job. It does not matter what the previous owner did to them it was degreed to his valve train and you have to do it to your. I see a few oops I F'd up threads in your future
Doh! killjoy you beat me to it again. twice in the same thread
Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

It is true that the only way to "perfectly" degree you cams is by doing it on your own engine, but it has been known to only be off by plus or minus a degree. Which is close enough for me. I know someone is going to come in here and say "Well that 1 degree good get you a whole 3 extra horsepower!" My response to that is I am not going to waste hours leaning over my engine to get 1 more degree. I know the degreeing was done properly. He had it sent to a reputable shop. I forget the name of the place, and I dont really have the time to look through all my pms to figure out what the name of the shop was. Please dont judge my knowledge on mustangs. Ive spent many hours researching all subjects of my car. All I simply asked for was some tips on installing all of these new items onto my car. Sorry for the long post.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:47 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
It is true that the only way to "perfectly" degree you cams is by doing it on your own engine, but it has been known to only be off by plus or minus a degree. Which is close enough for me. I know someone is going to come in here and say "Well that 1 degree good get you a whole 3 extra horsepower!" My response to that is I am not going to waste hours leaning over my engine to get 1 more degree. I know the degreeing was done properly. He had it sent to a reputable shop. I forget the name of the place, and I dont really have the time to look through all my pms to figure out what the name of the shop was. Please dont judge my knowledge on mustangs. Ive spent many hours researching all subjects of my car. All I simply asked for was some tips on installing all of these new items onto my car. Sorry for the long post.
Nobody is questioning your knowledge, we're just trying to help. There is something you should realize though. Those particular cams that you're going to install will already have a very tight ptv clearance on the stock PI heads, even if they're degreed to the advertised specs. Also your stock cam gears can be a few degrees off. Combine the already tight clearance with the possibility of your own cams gears being off, and you definitely run the risk of hitting the intake valve. This is a very real possibility on stock PI heads.. If you don't think so do some checking and asking around.

Personally, i would at least measure your clearance, and see where you're at. If it's extremely close (maybe like .005") you might want to retard the intake centerline back a little.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:58 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Nobody is questioning your knowledge, we're just trying to help. There is something you should realize though. Those particular cams that you're going to install will already have a very tight ptv clearance on the stock PI heads, even if they're degreed to the advertised specs. Also your stock cam gears can be a few degrees off. Combine the already tight clearance with the possibility of your own cams gears being off, and you definitely run the risk of hitting the intake valve. This is a very real possibility on stock PI heads.. If you don't think so do some checking and asking around.

Personally, i would at least measure your clearance, and see where you're at. If it's extremely close (maybe like .005") you might want to retard the intake centerline back a little.
Hey, don't tell him what to do brah. He knows everything, and we're just being an ignorance to him. I'm sure he already knows the PTV clearance, because the guy he bought the cams off measured it. Obviously if the specs were good on the engine, they'll be exactly the same on his, because we all know 4.6's tolerances are tightly measured compared to all the other 4.6's at final assembly. We're talking ferrari tolerances here brah, stop being a hater.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:08 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

^^lol not very nice.

They're just tryin to help man...after my bad experience w/ cams i would check...double check..and triple check the clearance...because trust me it turns into a mess FAST.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing cams, Cobra Brakes,tb/plenum,gears and maybe niitrous this weekend