4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Teej/Hoss/Other IRS guys....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 12:48 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Default Teej/Hoss/Other IRS guys....

Seems like everyone i talked to about suspension was like, i ALMOST got all of that... but i just got an IRS instead... well how much did you guys pay for the IRS? It seems it might be more benefical and cost effective just to swap an IRS? Maybe?

que?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

Go to svtperformance.com in the market section. You'll find a bunch of them.

I traded a friend my built rear for his irs, cobra brakes, borla stingers, bracket, front and rear h&r springs, billsteins, and new rear rotors. If you look around you'll find a good deal.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:57 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kmelfi11
Go to svtperformance.com in the market section. You'll find a bunch of them.

I traded a friend my built rear for his irs, cobra brakes, borla stingers, bracket, front and rear h&r springs, billsteins, and new rear rotors. If you look around you'll find a good deal.
yeah, thats where i've had my eye on, thanks.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:34 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

If you look in the right places you should be able to find cobra owners willing to swap straight up. They usually want the solid axle just as much as you want the IRS.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:35 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

i got mine for 700. it came with mm bushings throughout the entire irs, diff brace, 3.73s, mm sub-frame brace, magnaflow tail pipes (no mufflers though), full set of h&r race springs, brakes and everything to put it in other than shocks. i sold my complete stock rear for 200. the 2003 irs had 23,000 on all factory parts and 2000-2500 on all aftermarket. my rear had 56,000
Old 03-27-2011, 02:12 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I got my IRS free but it did not come with brakes,shocks,springs,exhaust or anything to mount it. So after getting all that stuff plus IRS brace,Derlin Bushings and a bunch of little things I ended up being around $1300 for me to do th swap. Definitely ended up being not such a great deal when all was said and done
Find one of the Retarded Cobra owners that think they need a SRA for the 3 times they go to the track in a year if you want to do the swap
Old 03-27-2011, 03:38 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by BraMas
I got my IRS free but it did not come with brakes,shocks,springs,exhaust or anything to mount it. So after getting all that stuff plus IRS brace,Derlin Bushings and a bunch of little things I ended up being around $1300 for me to do th swap. Definitely ended up being not such a great deal when all was said and done
Find one of the Retarded Cobra owners that think they need a SRA for the 3 times they go to the track in a year if you want to do the swap
I LOVE THIS RESPONSE!!!

SVTee, I got my IRS for $400 and we ended up swapping front brakes, I got the rear brakes, traded him his front Bilsteins for my strange 10 ways, got the rear shocks, swapped ABS sensors, and I think thats it. I ended up getting delrin/aluminum bushings to go in at the same time so they could be done with the IRS out of the car. And I got some flowmaster tailpipes that were all screwed up from the deal too, but they are junk.

I say that the IRS swap is worth it totally! I found out that I got a complete steal when I started posting more and more on SVTP. If you have any questions, just let me know.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:02 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

theres one for sale from an 03 low miles for 650 onsvtp right now.... i saw it was in VA then i got excited... then a few post later he said NC/VA boarder... wrong boarder... lot of interest in it....hopefully i can find something.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I'll go get it and ship it to you lol. Nuttin but a 1.5 hour drive to the border for me.

Originally Posted by bramas
I LOVE THIS REPSONSE!!!!

Wish I had an IRS.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

My opinion: you shouldnt pay jack **** for an IRS swap if you have a decent SRA. The cobra guy needs the SRA WAY more than you need the IRS.

IRS is not near as bad as ppl make it seem for straight line. I think my car launches better now than it ever did with the SRA(granted this is just on the street).

Quick Reply: Teej/Hoss/Other IRS guys....