4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Oil consumption 

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 AM
ptav22

Unhappy Oil consumption 

Question for y'all. Just bought a pre owned 02 GT about a month ago. Bought it with 78k on it and it had 1 previous owner. When i was taking a look at the car after test drive i noticed the car was a quart low on oil. i figured no big deal, maybe the service dept put too little when servicing. So i tell the sales man and he has service top it off. Now a month and a half later i go to start my pony and let her warm up this moring. Guess what i hear. Clack Clack Clack. I shut her off check the level and im about a Qt to Qt 1/2 low. My question is... how much oil do y'all burn on avg in a month? Is that normal to burn a Qt in a months time. That doesnt seem right to me. My pony is bone stock as far as engine mods. Flows and my suspension.( H&R ss , steeda c/c plates, tokiko HD shocks(blue). you think i may have a lemon.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:53 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Not normal at all. Are you sure its not leaking out somewhere. I've seen leaks that never touch the ground. Could be as simple as a faulty pcv blowing oil into the intake and burning, or bad valve guides/seals or rings. Cant really diag it over the net.

Even with the correct level of oil the first start after sitting for a while will make some noise for a second. Sustained noise however is bad
Old 03-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

^ What he said, it shouldn't be losing any oil. My car is older and has more miles than yours and does not lose a single drop between 5K change intervals. If it's not ending up on the ground, then it's likely burning it due to bad ring(s) and/or valve seals.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:33 PM
ptav22

the noise was sustained at idle and with slight accel it disapated. i added a qt and the noise was gone. i was thinkin guides but i didnt think to think of PCV. Do you really think a faulty PCV would allow that much oil to be spent?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ptav22
Do you really think a faulty PCV would allow that much oil to be spent?
I think it's unlikely, but theoretically it's totally possible.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:57 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Probably why the previous owner got rid of it. As others have already pointed out it is not normal. If I were you, and had just bought the car a month ago, I would be bringing it back to the dealer. Let them figure out what is wrong with it. I would be worried about how many times in the past the motor has been run low on oil if it is losing it that quickly.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:58 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Yea most places offer a 3 month 3k mile warranty on all used cars. Take that thing back asap and ream em out

Hell, my old Lightning spit 3 rods out 2 weeks after I bought it... I towed it 75 miles to the dealer I got it from and got a 5000$ motor out of it for 347$
Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 PM
ptav22

im gunna do a compression check across the board. what should good compression be at? im guessin 150ish
Old 03-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ptav22
im gunna do a compression check across the board. what should good compression be at? im guessin 150ish
Should be no less than 100 PSI and the lowest reading cylinder must be within 15 PSI of the highest reading cylinder.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...but clackclackclack indicates much lower than 1.5q. Maybe poor lubricant delivery. Assuming it was a cold start.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 PM
ptav22

it was a cold start. not so much a clack clack clack. more like tick tick tick. when i slightly accel it stopped but i returned to idle... tick tick tick. so i check my oil level and i was qt or so low. ive only had the car since feb 4th. so thats a little over month and a half. for being a qt low i thought that was kinda odd. especially with 80k on my engine. im worried that something may be seriously wrong. the people at the dealer i bought if from are being dicks. looks like im on my own for this one. i just read that my comp test should be no lower than 140... preferably 165ish would be better

Quick Reply: Oil consumption