4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Considering painting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:01 PM
EcRuckus

Default Considering painting?

So I have some extra cash, and im getting ready to do my 5.4 swap but I have a small issue. During the day I hate my car and at night I love it. Its starting to get alot of small or fine scratches that you can really see during the day, and i have been wanting to get rid of my wing. so I have been considering having the car repainted. I was looking at matte/flat black cars and liked them but dont think I want the hassle of taking care of that. So I was thinking white.? Any opinions I need some thoughts
Old 04-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

JUst get ur car color sanded and buffed
Old 04-02-2011, 12:26 PM
PoisonIvy
1st Gear Member

^^^ That's my suggestion as well. A professional polish/detail may save your paint. I'm not crazy about color changes. Unless the car is completely dismantled.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:31 PM
EcRuckus

Thats what a friend was saying he said to get the whole car wet sanded. and spend 350 at my shop to get the trunk deck redone
Thanks for the thoughts guys
Old 04-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

I don't think it need to go as far as wet sanded. You'd be surprised at what a nice 3 stage buff will do for a dark colored car.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

^^^ do u honestly know anything or do u just talk out of ur a$$.

OP ud need to color sand and buff. use 1500 and 2000 grit, wet obviously. color sanding will knock down those fine/deep clear coat scratches and the buffing compound (cutting compound and a glaze) the cutting compound will take out the wet sanding scratches and the glaze the cutting compound scratches... its like a night and day difference if uve never buffed it before.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

I had a 1990 LX 'Emerald Green' in color quite a few years ago that I took in to one of those street corner carwash deals with the high pressure soaker and long brush. Washed the car all nice and took it for a spin to air dry it.

When I got home I noticed that my entire car was completely covered in small, fine, yet VERY noticeable scratches! I thought I ruined my paint! I mean, it was worse than you could imagine.

Took a stroll back to the carwash to find that the brush I had used was completely covered in rocks. Yay...

Took it up to my bud who at the time was running a small detail shop and showed him the damage. To my surprise he was extremely confident that he could fix it. Flipped him a c note and gave him the keys.

Got back later than day to find my car glistening like something out of Barrett jacksons auction house! WOW! what did he do? 3 stage buff. Claybar, polishing wheel, and carnuba wax.

Gain some experience before you begin spouting off at the mouth about some things that you think you know, but really know nothing.

Or, maybe you do have some experience working part time making minimum wage washing cars.

Maybe you're one of those guys who would upsell someone into buying an uneccsary $350 job.

Either way, your approach is all wrong, son. Maybe you ought to sit this one out, champ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhXBAwLcRlc

Last edited by Moonshine; 04-02-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

sweet video of an already perfect painted car. ive been buffing cars since u even bought ur POS. you cant even wax your car your self u have no personal knowledge and are rambling on about videos and what some guy did. i dont have to up sale anything because i know how to do everything myself and learned how to do it.

your like those people...oh my tire is flat. well i'l have to get the wrecker to change my tire cuz im to ****ing incompetent to do it myself. i prefer not to have anyone work on my paint except for me cuz i know im not going to mess it up

my approach is wrong? look at ur dumbass getting all butt hurt over this LOL.

to OP. if uve never had ur car wet sanded and buffed. id wet sand first expecially with a dark colored car. the cutting compound wont get everything else. if u have any orange peel it will also take that out as well.

after sitting in the garage for 6 months with no wash or wax.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:31 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blk003GT
sweet video of an already perfect painted car. ive been buffing cars since u even bought ur POS. you cant even wax your car your self u have no personal knowledge and are rambling on about videos and what some guy did. i dont have to up sale anything because i know how to do everything myself and learned how to do it.

your like those people...oh my tire is flat. well i'l have to get the wrecker to change my tire cuz im to ****ing incompetent to do it myself. i prefer not to have anyone work on my paint except for me cuz i know im not going to mess it up

my approach is wrong? look at ur dumbass getting all butt hurt over this LOL.

to OP. if uve never had ur car wet sanded and buffed. id wet sand first expecially with a dark colored car. the cutting compound wont get everything else. if u have any orange peel it will also take that out as well.

after sitting in the garage for 6 months with no wash or wax.
+1.....this approach is best by far.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

But what no one has mentioned, is keep in mind how thin the stock paint/clear coat is. I work in a professional body shop, and had some of my scratches sanded down and buffed and it came out perfect. How ever one spot by my gas door burned threw to the primer coat in 3 passes with 2000 grit. So just keep that risk in mind anytime you wet sand.

Quick Reply: Considering painting?