4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Way to make the stock scoop functional?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
here's the difference bro, the hood scoop leaks right by the alternator, whereas the cowl and underbody dont (usually) get near it. i mean thats the top of your engine there where all the electrical components are. neither one of your two examples leak directly on the top of block, the hood scoop does
03/04 cobra hood vents are pretty damn close though, I know mine has gotten water all over just from washing. I don't have the hood liner or anything else underneath though, just the plastic vents.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:01 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
Easy guys.
He has only post a couple of posts before this one, give him a little time to get aclimated. He thought he was posting something helpful. As with any post, you just have to consider who you give a lot of credibility to. It takes time to build up any trust on here.

The word "function" apparently means different things to different people. To some it needs to be an inductive ram air, to others simply letting air either in or out, and to others it simply needs to look like it might do something. Whether someone would be happy with adding some holes there depends upon that person's intended benefit.

As mentioned, there could be as many or more negative aspects than positive aspects to such a mod of the scoop. Again, this probably has more to do with the intended benefit of the holes. It would probably be better for most to simply buy a different hood than to start drilling holes in the stock one.

I am a big fan of free or cheap mods, but this one may be just as well left alone.
True, it does take time to build trust. The best way to avoid real trust is to start off with crazy posts claiming to do dumb things on public roads.

As for 'functional'.... let's look at what cutting open the fake scoop really does. It's not really a grey area. The things people 'think' are happening by doing this really aren't happening at all:

When in motion your car builds a pocket of air in the engine bay due to pressure created by aerodynamics. Air coming in from the front is crammed in past the radiator, air moving under the car is creating high pressure that is forcing air UP into the bay from under it.
Now cut a hole in your hood and force air down from the top. Look at the basics of what it's doing... you are forcing air in BOTH top and bottom. Not a great way to move air into and out of a confined space. In fact you are HURTING airflow if you goal to remove heated air from the bay. You would be forcing air into the engine bay, restricting the flow of air past the radiator - which is what is cooling your engine (they are after all LIQUID cooled, not AIR cooled engines). That's not even touching on all the air flow being disrupted under the car, the water and debris you'd be scooping onto the top of your motor or having the scoop fly off at speed.

In turn, you need to evacuate air out of the top where the lower air pressure is. This is what an 03/04 Cobra hood is designed to do. The Saleen hood does the same thing. Rearware facing vents up front to allow air to escape where it needs to... right after passing through the radiator.

Last edited by LilRoush; 07-24-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:05 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

...or sitting still, heat has an escape point near the top of the engine compartment.

I wish there were a simple mod that would help evacuate hot air better from under the hood.

I agree that very little intended benefit comes from drilling holes in the stock scoop, that is why I suggest buying a new hood with a design engineered specifically for whatever effect is desired.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:52 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Except the highest point under the hood is at the firewall, not in the middle where the hole is... so it's not an effective evacuation point standing still.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 PM
darkstarnes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rockwell28
The cdc plastic applique that lays flat on the hood around the shaker doesnt appeal to everyone some even paint match i to their car. But I eneded up going with the mach1 hood and ditching the stock hacked up hood with the applique laying on it. No complaints and nothing but compliments
That is exactly what i did... but there are 2 problems with these...
1: the CDC shaker is a little bit smaller than the mach 1, so the CDC does not completely fill the the mach 1 hood.
2: I used the CDC hardware which puts the shaker lower and i think a little bit more in front of the engine than the mach 1 brackets, so the hardware needs to be modify.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:04 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Jazzer i'd tell you to resize your sig if your car wasn't so fcking sexy.