4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What to do now??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Itsme03gt

Default What to do now??

Hello this is my first post on this forum board and plan to stay because of the car i gots

I have a 2003 mustang gt and the list of mods can be found in my signature.

I was wondering about the sct programmer and a few other add ons. My car has true duals too but no headers and that will be fixed soon but again sct programmer. I was wondering that it already has the program for the new intake and injectors and CAI but would i ahve to reprogram if i get a new Underdrive pulley system and the shaker hood in place of the CAI.

(list of soon to be) Well it is an automatic :/ but i can live, it has the stock tranny and stock rear gears. I plan on getting the shaker hood headers, underdrive pulley system, and cam swap(and of course new valve springs.)
Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Shaker hood is purely cosmetic. Underdrive pulleys are ehh. Don't waste your money on BS that will have little to zero positive impact on it.....

SCT tuner/4.10s/longtubes/offroad midpipe

Cams after above, and I'd look into MHS cams and CMS cams.

Welcome to the forum...
Old 04-14-2011, 11:11 AM
josh.davis
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Shaker hood is purely cosmetic. Underdrive pulleys are ehh. Don't waste your money on BS that will have little to zero positive impact on it.....

Welcome to the forum...
I would put a 125shot of nitrous on it before the cams, so when u have it dyno tuned with a cam, u can tune in the nitrous too!!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Itsme03gt

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT

Welcome to the forum...
Why the 4.10s though?? I know what everything else does and yes i know cosmetic(show car with my uncles 408 stroked dodge dakota $60,000 truck:O )
But please explain why the 4.10s i dont completely understand exactly the difference and my uncle is old fashion and hard to get a stright answer out of him
Old 04-14-2011, 11:21 AM
josh.davis
3rd Gear Member

Do a search on gears.... FAQ
Old 04-14-2011, 11:37 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

After searching you will finds tons of info on 4.10's, and why they are so popular. If you don't find all the answers after that, then let us know and we'll help to further explain the pros and cons.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Your rear end gear is a torque multiplier for the whole drivetrain. The higher the gear(numerically) the quicker the car will accelerate... but, it comes at a price. You will have to shift sooner, and your top speed in each gear will lower.

4.10s/4.30s are pure win for a bolt on GT...If your using a power adder you may need to step down to 3.90s or 3.73s for 1/4 mile racing.. other than that.. long live 4.10s/4.30s.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:12 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

We'll make it easier for you....Tell us what the end goal of yours for the car is, and budget, and we'll tell you how to make your car the fastest it can be under your budgetary constraints.
This place is a GREAT place to ask any/all questions about mods for these cars. The search button helps alot too.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:59 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

OP like people stated above, skip the puleys, and shaker hood ( they do look cool though) but they dont have hardly any performance gains. I have a sct tuner and i love mine. Never had a problem with it yet and I have two dyno tunes on mine as well.
My car is a automatic too, mine has a shift kit (and currently have 4.10's waiting to be installed) which firmed up the shifts for me but then when i adjusted the shift points on my tuner it made my automatic really fun to drive. I have mine set to when i am really into the throttle mine will chirp third gear. I would say get cams, LT's and whatever catback you want, a Plenum. and other mods like that and you should have a fun ride.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Welcome. And if you want the shaker just for the looks to ditch the fake scoop then go for it its a personal preference if you like the look of it. Find out exactly which direction you plan on going with the car in the future before you decide on gears. Hoss pretty much broke it down to you already on the choices n/a gears or gears for a blower. Good luck!