4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Hp limit on a 2.6 KB

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:58 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

I remember a post about a guy running MHS stage 2 ported 2v heads with boost springs and retainers, MHS stage 2 turbo cams, and a single turbo running around 20-22 psi made 670 rwhp and like 720 something rwtq -- that was with the stock plastic intake and a BBK 78mm plenum, more could be achieved using something like a victor jr or a logan sheet metal intake.

the only reason at that point i could see staying 2v would be so you wouldnt have to sell the KB. if you plan on swapping out the KB for a turbo or twins, why not instead of dumping your money into TFS heads, go 4v?

IIRC there was some cutting that needed to be done to fit a 2.8 onto TFS heads too, not sure if thats still the case or if they fixed it or not.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

4v swap has not crossed my mind. I like people asking if my car is still a 2v. Alot of people think its a 4v swapped car. Which is why I cannot wait untill my 175 shot gets tuned...I want a quick 2v...
Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

i'd say that if you want anything more than mid 700's a 4v swap would be far more beneficial than much else you could do.

after that your looking at some pretty radical stuff, like sheet metal intakes, extreme cams, highly ported TFS heads.

i thought about doing a B-head swap, but for me, it just wasnt in the budget or timeline. but if your considering dropping the cash on TFS heads, IMO a 4v swap would probably do you better, unless you can get a major deal on TFS's.

a good used b-heads are what like 450$ shipped to your door? that leaves a huge budget to upgrade them with porting, valves, guides, blah blah blah. and MHS could hook you up real good, you just gotta provide the castings. their stage 1 package starts at 1000$. of course, there's a turn-around time...

there's also the option of C-heads, but i'd say get whatever you can at that point, your talkin minimal gains in different RPM bands, but thats a whole other topic.

for 3000, MMR offers brand new 03/04 4v ported heads. not sure if it includes cams but, still, your talking 400$ less than TFS's from MHS.

if you want to stay 2v, i'd say just get some basic 2v heads ported, good cams/springs/valves blah blah blah. but you'll have to acknowledge the limits of the 2v, and simply try and work other area's to stay ahead, like weight reduction and suspension.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:05 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by zero2005
i'd say that if you want anything more than mid 700's a 4v swap would be far more beneficial than much else you could do.

after that your looking at some pretty radical stuff, like sheet metal intakes, extreme cams, highly ported TFS heads.

i thought about doing a B-head swap, but for me, it just wasnt in the budget or timeline. but if your considering dropping the cash on TFS heads, IMO a 4v swap would probably do you better, unless you can get a major deal on TFS's.

a good used b-heads are what like 450$ shipped to your door? that leaves a huge budget to upgrade them with porting, valves, guides, blah blah blah. and MHS could hook you up real good, you just gotta provide the castings. their stage 1 package starts at 1000$. of course, there's a turn-around time...

there's also the option of C-heads, but i'd say get whatever you can at that point, your talkin minimal gains in different RPM bands, but thats a whole other topic.

for 3000, MMR offers brand new 03/04 4v ported heads. not sure if it includes cams but, still, your talking 400$ less than TFS's from MHS.

if you want to stay 2v, i'd say just get some basic 2v heads ported, good cams/springs/valves blah blah blah. but you'll have to acknowledge the limits of the 2v, and simply try and work other area's to stay ahead, like weight reduction and suspension.
Ok...

The tfs heads through MHS include your choice of cams, with them already degreed ready for you to bolt them onto your engine. Going for a 4v conversion is a lot more involved than you're leaving to believe. You need heads, cams, electrical stuff, rewire the car, intake, and all the little odds and ends. Not worth it. A set of tfs heads goes 240cfm @ .600 lift. That's past where 03 cobras flow stock, and if you open the bore up more you can get more flow out of them still. Everything for the 4v costs so much more. Cams are hell to degree, cams are over 2 times the cost, two time more everything to replace/rebuild. If you have a 2v, stick with the 2v unless you find a cobra motor and then just swap that in and throw the kb on that and crank it up.

Tfs heads are your best bet if/when you go that route. If you get your motor opened up to a big bore block(3.700 bore), then you would be able to use the new tfs-r heads that are coming out, that flow even more and have awesome valvetrain. Just so you know...

Also, there is some feuding of the heads that needs to be done, but nothing major. Causes no structural damage or anything. Just removal of excess material.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:38 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Ok...

The tfs heads through MHS include your choice of cams, with them already degreed ready for you to bolt them onto your engine. Going for a 4v conversion is a lot more involved than you're leaving to believe. You need heads, cams, electrical stuff, rewire the car, intake, and all the little odds and ends. Not worth it. A set of tfs heads goes 240cfm @ .600 lift. That's past where 03 cobras flow stock, and if you open the bore up more you can get more flow out of them still. Everything for the 4v costs so much more. Cams are hell to degree, cams are over 2 times the cost, two time more everything to replace/rebuild. If you have a 2v, stick with the 2v unless you find a cobra motor and then just swap that in and throw the kb on that and crank it up.

Tfs heads are your best bet if/when you go that route. If you get your motor opened up to a big bore block(3.700 bore), then you would be able to use the new tfs-r heads that are coming out, that flow even more and have awesome valvetrain. Just so you know...

Also, there is some feuding of the heads that needs to be done, but nothing major. Causes no structural damage or anything. Just removal of excess material.
Ah, ok i stand corrected. i couldnt find anything that stated the TFS heads flowed more than the cobra heads. If thats the case then the TFS would be worth it for simplicity. is that 240 cfm stock? wonder what sort of numbers one could get with ported TFS heads?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the info... I have a new teskid built block going in so if this one goes car will be returned to stock and sold/ parted. And a new gt or boss will be in my garage. But I like not having a car payment
Old 04-18-2011, 12:27 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Fox lake is getting 263 ported, but flow numbers are just flow numbers. I would never opt for a 4v swap unless it was an 03 cobra motor. That way it was forged and didn't have to worry about degreeing cams and all that fun stuff.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:43 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

More like HP limit on pump gas
Old 04-18-2011, 06:11 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

700 is easy on pump with the right motor. It still confuses me why some tuners get worrisome with pump gas over a certain point. More boost and more power, pull a little timing and add a little fuel. I've seen pump gas cars run 800rwhp. But that was a gt500 with a 3.6lc kenne bell on like 18psi. But with the right setup, you'll see 700rwhp easy, on pump.