4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

High Compression + Cams Fired Up Today

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:55 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Sounds sick!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilvrStang
I can throw 14-16 lbs on it NP. Its easier to make power with higher compression. Video doesnt do any justice its pretty loud,almost annoying for a street car. For all of you tht wonder what tranny its being abused through its a built 4r70w with a new 3400 9 inch converter
Originally Posted by SilvrStang
You can it's doable I got few friends with similar setup one runs a twin screw the other one turbo on about 12-15 lbs and make some mean *** numbers. To answer your question yes thats one of the major reasons I studded it because of
more clamping force. It might not make sense to most people but it
works.
Wow really? Easier to make power with high comp? NO WAIII! Dude.....the issue isnt power, its pre-detonation.

I'll ask again. How much boost and timing do you think you're gonna throw at a 11:1 comp motor with pump gas and make it last?

Rest assured sir, your "friends" are not running 11:1 comps with a twin-screw blower at or near max boost on 91 octane. Rest assured that if they are, they are on borrowed time. Studs don't have a damn thing to do with the reliability/stability of an 11:1 comp motor on boost. You can have jesus studs if you want. I dare you to run 16lbs of boost on an 11:1 comp motor and not have to run such shallow spark advance that the piston is running away from the mixture. Forged pistons melt at around the same temperature that cast pistons do. Yes, we all know its "do able" but for how long is the huge question.

One thing is for absolute 100% sure. 11:1 comp motors are not "built for boost." I highly, HIGHLY suggest picking up a copy of Advanced Engine Management by Greg Banish and start reading. You really need to educate yourself on whats going on inside that engine because you have been mislead. Take it how you want.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:28 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Dont worry about it dude. No need to preach here its already been done by us twice so no need for suggestions.. If you want to disprove that theory come to vegas and WE'LL SHOW you how its done. Im runing KB pistons and yes the heads are worked a little bit. The car isnt meant to boost 14 lbs all the time thats track only.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:31 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Thats speaking for my car that is.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
One thing is for absolute 100% sure. 11:1 comp motors are not "built for boost." I highly, HIGHLY suggest picking up a copy of Advanced Engine Management by Greg Banish and start reading. You really need to educate yourself on whats going on inside that engine because you have been mislead. Take it how you want.
really? i have seen plenty of engines with higher comp than that with boost. you can do it, its been done. it just needs to be done right.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:36 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Thank you!
hangwire you just keep board reading and study those books real well and board racing and well keep sweeping up trophies and do what we do! Unless you have done it you have no SAY in this this thread!!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:42 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

I wanna see this! Should be nasty if it all mates together!

I've always heard that lower comp makes better power for boost...but id like to see if this works too! Im no mechanic haha
Old 04-20-2011, 02:51 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmancp

I've always heard that lower comp makes better power for boost...but id like to see if this works too! Im no mechanic haha
this makes better power for lower boost. especially with a turbo
Old 04-20-2011, 04:16 PM
darkstarnes
2nd Gear Member

I am sorry but I am with hangwire on this one... yes It can be done... but with pump gas It will not last long... because there will be detonation... High comp + high boost + Las Vegas Hot weather - racing gas = melt piston
Old 04-20-2011, 04:24 PM
darkstarnes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmancp

as far as I know people build low comp F/I engines to avoid the need to use high octane fuel...

Quick Reply: High Compression + Cams Fired Up Today