4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New rear suspension and new rearend installed and roadtested.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:43 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Default New rear suspension and new rearend installed and roadtested.

Well my winter build consisting of Team Z double adjustable lower control arms and Team Z double adjustable relocated upper control arms. The rear end build consisted of moser 31 spline axle, 31 spline carbon fiber ford diff, and 4.10 gears. First I would like to state that adjusting the pinion angle with adjustable control arms IS NOT difficult whatsoever like people seem to make, its laughable at best, all that is needed is a 12 dollar angle finder and some time going back and forth unbolting the driveshaft. On to the road test, the car has been sitting for the winter so I didn't go to crazy from the start and the day was cut short by rain, but as far as the rear suspension goes WOW what a difference the car's traction is GREATLY increased. I'm going to say the car hooks better with this team z suspension and the 4.10 gears WAY better than the 3.27s and the solid poly control arms that came off. You can just feel the rear plant even between shifts, the chase car said from behind it looked like the car was pulling a wheel. I must say if you are looking for a top notch rear suspension for street/strip I would go with the team z setup with relocated uppers without a doubt. Moving on to the gears, well I haven't done a full 1-4 gear bang but I can say you can definatly notice the difference from the 3.27s that came out (not 3.55s like some people thought were installed prior to my acquisition of the vehicle), but I was honestly expecting a lot more from the 4.10s so at this point I am going to say I should of just got the 4.30s as originally planned but I can't a 100% till further testing of the current setup, I'm glad I didn't go with 3.73a like most people recommend for S/C cars because I would of been highly dissapointed, and as far as NA goes my next NA 4v build for the gf is going to be a 4.56.
QUESTIONS
Now on to the questions, my speedometer is off about 30mph now, now for the 96-98 can this be corrected with the handheld tuner or will I need to buy a proper speedo gear? I'm not sure if using the tuner will only work for 99-04 setups.
CONS
Well honestly there aren't really any cons, as far as gas mileage is concerned I do not beleive it will be affected to much at all especially due to the fact I have the ability to just cruise in a higher gear now, as far as NVH is consider occasionaly you may hear some vibration now and again and over bumps its a little harsh as to be expected but its not much different than any other aftermarket control arms.

Last edited by uberstang1; 04-18-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Pumped to see you have the stang running my brother. Can't wait to fillet some shark *** on my 125 shot this summer too.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Old 04-18-2011, 11:01 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

You're gonna need a speedcal keith. The only gear they make for the speedo will correct for 3.73s at most. with 4.10s, speedcal is the only way to get it right. Cannot use handhelds like the 99+

Glad to see the car is up brah
Old 04-18-2011, 11:35 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
You're gonna need a speedcal keith. The only gear they make for the speedo will correct for 3.73s at most. with 4.10s, speedcal is the only way to get it right. Cannot use handhelds like the 99+

Yep^^^
Actually the speedo does not even correct it for 3.73
I had to get a Speedcal
Old 04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I thought the little red one was the 3.73 gear.. might have been 3.55s. I had one in my old car, as a band aid for my 4.10s to try to make it a little better lol
Old 04-18-2011, 01:06 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Thanks guys, good to have it back on the road. Def need to get the speedcal then cause speedo is WAY off.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:16 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea i love my new suspension stuff (baseline "street launch" UCAs, CHE LCAs)...glad you're enjoying yours! Kinda wish i woulda went 4.10s...but hey what can you do.

Both baseline and team z are great companies i would think!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:50 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Did some more testing today, seems like on the highway theres some vibration but nothing to write home about unless your someone who wants a cadillac ride.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:14 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

unbolt the driveshaft and rotate 180* and re-install

Quick Reply: New rear suspension and new rearend installed and roadtested.