4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

SSS exhaust clamps

Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Default SSS exhaust clamps

So I just picked up an SSS adrenaline CB saturday and took me from 1030am to about 5pm putting it on....

I've had CB's from MRT and Magnaflow on and off withing an hour or two but since the SSS has more individual pieces and clamps it took longer to align everything.

ANYWHO, about those style clamps. Anyone else think they are a pain? Just how they mechanically clamp on.

These are what I'm talking about that come with the SSS. By nature of how they clamp, they seem to pinch the pipe in 2 locations rather than applying pressure evenly all the way around the pipe sealing it closed. I have cranked down on the clamps and pretty much all of them leak lol.

I bought these for the other CB's and they work well for sealing and clamping.

I will NEVER go to the cheap Autozone U-clamps since 1) they rust and you end up snapping them apart later and 2) they crease the pipe to the point that to seal it right you wont be able to slide the pipes apart and might as well weld them.

Anyone else have opinions? I can't put the lap style band clamps I have behind the mufflers because they are too long. I can on the front side of the mufflers and prob on the over axle section.

Note: I'm not bashing Jon from SSS or his products! I would have made this about anything I bought/own and want to improve it.

Pic of what how they are on my car:

I have cranked down on them to get them tight and they don't apply pressure evenly all around the pipe. They pinch it at 2 locations and don't crimp very tight.

Someone had mentioned if I had the "brass inserts" with the clamps, but I bought this off someone and I didn't get any insert. I'm not even sure where the insert would go to improve it's clamping ability.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:07 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

That's too funny, cause i did the exact same thing that you did. The thicker style clamps from SSS just didn't work right for me, so i bought some of the thinner style ones (they look exactly like the ones in your link) and they worked much better. I did use a couple of the original clamps with the brass inserts, and that helped a bit.

I told John about this years ago (i bought one of their very first kits) so he has been aware of this for a long time now. I was under the impression that they corrected this a long time ago. Since you bought it used from someone, it sounds like you got the old style original clamps.

Last edited by mrtstang; 04-25-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:15 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Those are the same clamps used on a lot of catbacks. my SLP had the same kind, and guess what... they leaked. lol

you could see the carbon build up where the leaks where. If I were you I would just go buy a tube of silicon and seal the area. Cheaper and will do the job easy.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:49 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

What...an SSS exahust thread w/ no CLIP!?! What has this forum come to?!

Lol looks good man. All my crap's welded...NO LEAKY lol
Old 04-25-2011, 02:14 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

For now until I get home from work and I will respond more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haURH-UrApw
Old 04-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

I had the same issues with the clamps, i actually just said **** clamps completely and welded mine lol. And @ cp, I will go make a video for you right now since I am home lol.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:48 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
That's too funny, cause i did the exact same thing that you did. The thicker style clamps from SSS just didn't work right for me, so i bought some of the thinner style ones (they look exactly like the ones in your link) and they worked much better. I did use a couple of the original clamps with the brass inserts, and that helped a bit.

I told John about this years ago (i bought one of their very first kits) so he has been aware of this for a long time now. I was under the impression that they corrected this a long time ago. Since you bought it used from someone, it sounds like you got the old style original clamps.
I may have one of the first kits as well. From what the seller told me. I was told about these brass inserts over on M1R but have yet to see what they are.

Originally Posted by H0SS302
Those are the same clamps used on a lot of catbacks. my SLP had the same kind, and guess what... they leaked. lol

you could see the carbon build up where the leaks where. If I were you I would just go buy a tube of silicon and seal the area. Cheaper and will do the job easy.
Yea I'm kinda disappointed in them as far as clamps go. Hell the cheap U clamps from Autozone work better. But they crimp the pipe when you get them tight enough to seal. To the point where removing the pipes after is such a PITA you might as well weld them. I have some hi-temp silicone somewhere. I could try it to see how it works.

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
What...an SSS exahust thread w/ no CLIP!?! What has this forum come to?!

Lol looks good man. All my crap's welded...NO LEAKY lol
With the frequency that I play with exhaust combos welding isn't an option. I have yet to find a single exhaust setup that I love soooo much I would weld it all together. Not to mention, it hurts resale value lol

I thought about THESE clamps but didn't know how well they will hold. If they have the strength to close the outer pipe gaps. I have had THESE on my other CB's and worked well since they would tighten around both inner and outer pipes.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:32 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gt04
I had the same issues with the clamps, i actually just said **** clamps completely and welded mine lol. And @ cp, I will go make a video for you right now since I am home lol.
I've been strongly considering having mine welded as well, since i don't plan on changing the exhaust anytime soon.

Looking forward to the video!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

There ya go Cp.

Best I could do before the rain started to let loose on me. Notice the spoon sitting on the rear bumper on the license plate. (Thats for you purp).
Old 04-25-2011, 03:46 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

video doesn't work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SSS exhaust clamps