4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What's the cheapest way to ADD 100 HP to a stock stang?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Default What's the cheapest way to ADD 100 HP to a stock stang?

My brother in law just bought a R/T charger that's rated at 370 HP stock. My mustang is rated at 260.

Without using NOS what's the cheapest way I can add 100+ HP to my stock car.

I'm already looking into some 4.30 gears and a tuner. And I'm going to put on a K&N air filter and a SSS Terminator Catback system.

Other than that I don't know what I want/need to do? I'm pretty sure a super charger would do it, but the way I understand it is all that get's pretty expensive.

I don't want to do a half A$$ cheapy job, but I want to get the best bang for my buck.

So what do you all think?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

The cheapest way besides nitrous would be to buy a used non intercooled Vortech. But going without an intercooler or methanol is half assing it IMO lol.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

whats wrong with spray? and those cars really arent that fast because they weigh close to 4000lbs. even with 370 thats a lot of weight to move. I think youll beat him with 4.10s and some spray. that would be the best and most cost effective way to smoke'em other than that your talkin about getting into cams or an s/c kit. s/c kit and a tune is gonna run 2k+.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

^^^agreed...
Old 04-26-2011, 08:42 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Actually now that i think about it, you could hang with him (or beat him) with just full bolt ons, gears, and tune. Think about it dude...your car is about a 1000 lbs lighter lol.

Case in point: My ride was dead even with my buddy's bone stock 6-speed 06 GTO. Granted i have cams, but his car has 400 hp, and is about 400 lbs lighter than the Charger.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:04 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Nitrous is great--right up until the bottle goes dry, f/i is forever...
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

98redstang- I say no NOS because that would feel like a cheap win to me. I just want to have the faster car (no cheating). ---and why 4.10 over 4.30??? and if I get cams don't I need an intake and headers to go with it? And I looked around and saw about 20hp is the average dyno add with just cams. Maybe 50 if you spend alot of money and get the right headers and intake?

Mrtstang- Thanks again for your input, I can always count on you for a suggestion. I wouldn't know where to begin looking for a RELIABLE used supercharger. Isn't it risky for your engine life to run a supercharger without an intercooler?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:25 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by Tommy079
98redstang- I say no NOS because that would feel like a cheap win to me. I just want to have the faster car (no cheating). ---and why 4.10 over 4.30??? and if I get cams don't I need an intake and headers to go with it? And I looked around and saw about 20hp is the average dyno add with just cams. Maybe 50 if you spend alot of money and get the right headers and intake?

Mrtstang- Thanks again for your input, I can always count on you for a suggestion. I wouldn't know where to begin looking for a RELIABLE used supercharger. Isn't it risky for your engine life to run a supercharger without an intercooler?
With a non intercooled s/c you might loose some power to heatsoak when its hot, but as long as you have a good tune its safe. I pick up my intercooled procharger setup for a little over 2k complete.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:31 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Tommy, the stock intake will be more than sufficient with a set of cams. Long tube headers will be more of a benefit than the intake.

With a good tune, running a non intercooled blower won't hurt the engine, it just won't perform as well on hotter days.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:33 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

I put a hurting on one of those at the track a while back, when I still had the Mustang. I just had a GT with some bolt on parts. Don't remember exaclty what I had at that time, but I believe the Charger R/T only ran in the low 15 second range. I would have to try and find the slip at home. I thought it would have done better, but the weight kills it.

You appear to have a 2001 GT. With as set of gears and good tires you should be able to handle the Charger with no trouble.

Quick Reply: What's the cheapest way to ADD 100 HP to a stock stang?