4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Finally starting my 4v swap

Old 05-01-2011, 09:48 AM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Default Finally starting my 4v swap

Well it's finally here.I'm taking my car tomorrow to my mechanic.I bought a 96 cobra 4v to drop in my 98 gt.I had Seth's Racing Engines in Beaver Springs check out the 4v.He gave me the green light and said the cobra engine is in really good shape.I'm letting it stock for now.I did buy BBK lt's and catted x pipe to go with the flowmasters already on my car.I deleted the imrc's.I had to purchase some stock cobra parts from salvage yards such as throttle cable,idle air supply hose,maf,and air inlet tube.I also got CJPP springs and MM cc plates.Then I'm going to DGR for my tuning.Last step will be paint.I'm trying to get it all done before the Carlisle show.I figure I can do more with the 4v in the future.BTW lots of thanks to Keith(Uberstang)for answering all my questions and helping me out with his advice and experience.I have kept my receipts to figure out the total costs, so if someone else wants to do this swap they'll have a ballpark figure to go off of.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:01 PM
sullitf
1st Gear Member

Congrats! I had high hopes of doing either a 4v or 5.4L swap at some point, but I'm moving to the other end of the country in about a month and have to sell the car before I go. Keep us updated with pictures!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:53 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Very nice John hoping to see that puppy down Ford Nationals, just remember do not put the longtubes on untill the tranny is bolted to the motor or you'll be doing it twice hehe. Well probably be staying at the super 8 on the carlise pike, also gonna be may 14th and 15th for carlisle performance and style, alot of imports and stuff there but there is usually some nice stangs as well.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 AM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Yeah my mechanic said that's what he would do.I'll be down on the 14th or 15th to check it out.Sounds like a good time.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:40 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by jeh4269
Yeah my mechanic said that's what he would do.I'll be down on the 14th or 15th to check it out.Sounds like a good time.
Nice I'll be down with the club, we should have my car, a 320whp evo, turbo cobalt, 3 srt-4s, a 260hp mazda protege speed swap, turbo rx-8, and a crap load of bagged/bodydropped minitrucks.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:51 AM
AYEOH5.0
3rd Gear Member

A+++++ for DGR! Dave will get all my business from now on.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:12 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Yeah once I get the swap paid for I'll give Dave a call and set up an appointment for the dyno.My mech told me when I dropped it off he prob can't start it til Thursday.Oh well I waited this long to start it so a few more days won't bo too bad.As long as it goes smooth with no surprises i'll be happy.Uber keeps reassuring me it's an easy swap,since he did his swap I believe him.Should be done by next Wed.Then after the tune I'll see a big difference from my stock 2v.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:34 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by jeh4269
Yeah once I get the swap paid for I'll give Dave a call and set up an appointment for the dyno.My mech told me when I dropped it off he prob can't start it til Thursday.Oh well I waited this long to start it so a few more days won't bo too bad.As long as it goes smooth with no surprises i'll be happy.Uber keeps reassuring me it's an easy swap,since he did his swap I believe him.Should be done by next Wed.Then after the tune I'll see a big difference from my stock 2v.
Yes rest assured its an easy swap, people fail to realize a 4.6 is a 4.6 is a 4.6. Drop in, straigten out wirring/computer and tunning and its done. Few easter eggs pop up like IMRC deletes and what not but its def easy. As far as tunning goes Dave Guy is the only person that will ever touch my car, hes a great guy and his customer service skills are out of this world he actually will sit down and talk to you. I've been to alot of tuners that just have ignorant *** attitudes so bad you wanna punch them in the face. I'd highley recommend calling Dave early as he is extremly busy since the changeover from SGS hes the only one at the shop, he did my rear build and when I picked it up a few weeks ago it sounds like hes burning the candle on both ends as I picked it up on a friday and he was there all morning till 5pm then was driving straight to florida after that without stopping to make it to the florida NHRA race for a client.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:19 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

congrades man! you'll love the new found power of that 4v!
Old 05-07-2011, 09:45 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

My mechanic did not start my swap yet,so I picked up my car for the weekend.His shop is really busy so I'm hoping he can do it this week.Going to drop it off Sunday evening and hope for the best this week.Not happy about it but I can wait another week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally starting my 4v swap