MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   one problem with new clutch (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/641995-one-problem-with-new-clutch.html)

evanjp 05-16-2011 01:24 PM

one problem with new clutch

My throwout bearing was busted and replaced the entire clutch with a mcleod street pro clutch with their throwout bearing. after the install, the clutch grabs EXTREMELY high up the clutch pedal.

before the install, with my old clutch, it grabbed sort of near the floor, maybe an inch or inch and a half off the floor, in the same position as it was after the install (aftermarket firewall adjuster, american muscle clutch quadrant, stock ford clutch cable).

so after the install when i drove it home, the thing caught onto gear, or engaged, right at the tippy tippy top of the travel of the clutch pedal. note: the adjuster is in the same position as it was before the install...

i had a little bit of room left to screw in (loosen the cable) the adjuster, and put the cable on the second hook (i forget if it was on there or not to begin with after the install of my new clutch), and it might have loosened it maybe a half inch. still, there's no soft spot at the top of the clutch, and it grabs super high up.

what could be the problem? the ford cable? should i get a different quadrant that holds the cable closer to the firewall? something wrong with the install? i need any kind of help!!

WhiteFoxGT 05-16-2011 02:17 PM

I'd start playin with the adjustments on the firewall and hook, its all you can do. Try setting it on the "longest" hook on the quadrant and go from there.

evanjp 05-16-2011 06:48 PM

i have it on the hook closest to the firewall and the adjuster set to let the maximum amount of cable free. could i need an adjustable cable instead of my ford cable?

the people at mcleod said this wouldn't harm my car... but wouldn't it actually harm it since the clutch is pre-loaded? or the TOB is riding the pressure plate?

maybe a triple hook quadrant with the cable at the closest hook? the steeda quick release quadrant seems to hold the cable closer than my AM one also.

evanjp 05-17-2011 03:22 PM

bump?

WhiteFoxGT 05-17-2011 03:24 PM

Did you try putting the cable at the hook closest to the dash? (like where the factory one would be)

evanjp 05-18-2011 01:10 PM

i think i answered that. it's on the hook closest to the firewall

WhiteFoxGT 05-18-2011 03:31 PM

my bad

If you cant get it where you need it with the stock cable and firewall adjuster maybe an adjustable cable is in your near future. If you've played with all other settings and combinations of hooks and firewall cranking lol

evanjp 05-19-2011 12:28 PM

yeah man i think i'm ordering that quadrant tomorrow. it should free up an inch to half inch of cable

PurpleIcedGT 05-19-2011 12:35 PM

evan you going to make it to OCMD? If you are, send me a PM.

evanjp 05-25-2011 08:10 PM

i couldn't make it, i was working all week. plus my damn clutch is acting up again.

so in order to not make a new thread about this, my new McLeod Street Pro clutch kit i got put on my car about maybe 3 weeks ago is now starting to act up. the car doesn't coast off well from a light in first, when changing from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd, it won't slip into gear and pull forward like it did maybe a week and a half to 2 weeks ago.

another thing i notice is the noise from the clutch at idle is a lot louder than it was when it was just put on. with my door open, i can push in and let out the clutch, and before it was almost silent, like i could just barely make out the clutch engaging on idle after pushing it in and letting it out.

also, when it was first put on, maybe for like a week or two, it was very very touchy, like the car responded extremely well and i occasionally didn't realize how well it was gaining speed after having a crapped-on (broken in half) throw out bearing before the new clutch.

it would be able to slip it into engaging and pull forward when taking off from a stop, 2nd to 3rd shifts would make it lunge forward when i would give it gas in the engagement of 3rd for a while, and now, it just sort of dumps into gear, it feels like i need to give it extra gas when taking off, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th shifts tend to just sort of dump in kind of unexpectedly and be sort not crisp like they were before the new clutch and TOB.

basically, it feels like something is holding the car back for some reason, and i'm wondering if my pedal engaging right at the tippy top of the pedal's travel is wearing out the TOB and causing it to just be rough and crappy? i need some opinions on this one here