4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Well now i've gone and done it...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:57 AM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

The imrc plates off 93-96 mkviii engines had dual round ports per cylinder and the intake manifold reflected that in design. The 97-98 mkviii had one round and one circular port per cylinder and therefore the imrc was different.96-98 cobras had the imrc you want also. The
Old 06-20-2011, 11:32 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

well the two things i was waiting on so i could put the motor in, came on friday. Exhaust manifold studs and the oil cooler gasket. So heres the motor installed. I tried to get the motor to drop in with the h-pipe bolted up, which is a long shot I know. It almost dropped right in, and we massaged the motor a little, but couldnt get the pipe to squeeze past the steering shaft. but other than that, the motor seriously fell into place with little to no effort. Ive heard people say that putting the engine in is a pain, im not sure what they were doing to make it hard, but i got mine bolted in and half the wiring ran in under an hour. but anywho, the stuff people really wanna see, pics lol

its comin down from heaven? lol

Old 06-21-2011, 01:08 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

I took a couple pics of the 93-95 intake manifold set on the motor. I knew it wouldnt fit, i just wanted to see how close it was. Well its about a good 3 inches too far forward, the sensors on the back of the TB are up against the firewall. Just some food for thought.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:25 AM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

of only your budget permitted long tube headers. but other than that, its lookin good.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by masterofthepuppets99
of only your budget permitted long tube headers. but other than that, its lookin good.
woulda been nice thats for sure :-/
Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Well i got a couple goodies from the post office today. Intake manifold, new o2 sensors, and fuel rails. Im surprised to see most of the parts off the 2v intake and tb bolt up to the cobra intake. The TPS bolted right up, as did the IAC. The only issue with the IAC is the GT uses a vacuum port built onto the sensor, and the Cobra uses one that is integrated into the manifold. You can see the issue this presents in the photos. It sits higher than the manifold does, so hood clearance issues, but i might try cutting it down and capping it off. We'll see how that goes.. oh i also got my cobra throttle cable.

Ik i could just buy a different IAC, but wheres the fun and adventure in that! haha
Old 06-29-2011, 05:18 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

This swap looks like its coming along nicely, When doing 4v swap with long tubes its alot easier to drop the k frame and trans crossmember and put everything through the bottom IMO, how much wiggling did you have to do to drop that in from the top?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:01 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
This swap looks like its coming along nicely, When doing 4v swap with long tubes its alot easier to drop the k frame and trans crossmember and put everything through the bottom IMO, how much wiggling did you have to do to drop that in from the top?
It honestly fell straight in. I tried putting the motor in with the h-pipe attached(just for ****s and giggles) and that failed miserably lol. but with the exhaust off, i lowered it all in, had to jack up the tailshaft of the trans, had to drop the motor onto the k-member about a foot forward of where it was to re-position the chains, and then gave it a solid push back and it fell it. The motor did not fight us at all going in. All in all, it was very very easy going in.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:11 AM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

im not sure that the iac you have is going to work
Old 06-30-2011, 07:04 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by masterofthepuppets99
im not sure that the iac you have is going to work
ya know, I'm not really sure either. the ports on the IAC lined up with the ones on the manifold. but there are two very different hose locations. We'll see what happens. Worse thing is ill have to go out and get an IAC.

Quick Reply: Well now i've gone and done it...