4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Does a new shifter really make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

mgw = loveeeeeeee
Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

A STS in my '00 was probably my favorite mod I did. The stock shifter is absolutely terrible. Long throw, a lot of play while in gear and the 2-3 shift was more difficult with the stocker.

I had a Triax STS
Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

My MGW makes no noise, but I also got a set of the shifter gaskets from a guy (I can't remember his name off the top of my head). The gaskets are supposed to help isolate noise and help to seal the shifter to the trans, yet allows removal and reuse when changing fluid.

Only downside I can think of for the MGW is that you can only use the MGW shifter arm. If you want to be able to put on a HURST arm, for example, I would suggest getting a Tri-Ax to allow options for different arms.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I'm a pro 5.0 guy all the way.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:23 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
My MGW makes no noise, but I also got a set of the shifter gaskets from a guy (I can't remember his name off the top of my head). The gaskets are supposed to help isolate noise and help to seal the shifter to the trans, yet allows removal and reuse when changing fluid.

Only downside I can think of for the MGW is that you can only use the MGW shifter arm. If you want to be able to put on a HURST arm, for example, I would suggest getting a Tri-Ax to allow options for different arms.
yeah, because MGW is the only one that doesnt suck...
Old 05-26-2011, 03:45 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I remembered the name of the guy making the shifter gaskets...
I am sure if you GOOGLE "COBRABOB'S SHIFTER GASKETS" you will come up with his site.

I highly recommend using these gaskets! They are very good quality and allow for multiple removals and installations of the shifter with the ability to reuse the gaskets as many times as you want.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Mixednuts
2nd Gear Member

Tureblue3934, I'm a little confused about this statement "The gaskets are supposed to help isolate noise and help to seal the shifter to the trans, yet allows removal and reuse when changing fluid."

How does changing the fluid come in play?

-Mixed
Old 05-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Mixednuts
2nd Gear Member

I have to believe Steeda makes a good product and stands behind it. My question is which is better? Steeda or MGW? And if I go Steeda, who out there has this product, is it quiet, and how good is the perfomance?

-Mixed
Old 05-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Mixednuts
2nd Gear Member

This is from the installation instruction for the Tri-AX. As you can see they claim all high performance shifters create noise. I'm looking for real world experience. I know myself and I know "noise" will not make me happy.

"Because the Tri-Ax shifter eliminates the factory rubber noise isolators (as do all high performance shifters) you will hear more gear noise or "gear whine" from the transmission once the shifter is installed. This noise is normal, and comes from the transmission, not the shifter. The vibrations that cause the noise are always present, but are hidden by rubber isolators in the original shifter and shift handle. The isolators which absorb the noise are also partly responsible for the sloppy, rubbery feeling of the stock shifter, so it is necessary to eliminate them for a performance shifter"

Those of you who have or had this shifter can answer this best.

-Mixed

Last edited by Mixednuts; 05-26-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:26 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mixednuts
This is from the installation instruction for the Tri-AX. As you can see they claim all high performance shifters create noise. I'm looking for real world experience. I know myself and I know "noise" will not make me happy.

"Because the Tri-Ax shifter eliminates the factory rubber noise isolators (as do all high performance shifters) you will hear more gear noise or "gear whine" from the transmission once the shifter is installed. This noise is normal, and comes from the transmission, not the shifter. The vibrations that cause the noise are always present, but are hidden by rubber isolators in the original shifter and shift handle. The isolators which absorb the noise are also partly responsible for the sloppy, rubbery feeling of the stock shifter, so it is necessary to eliminate them for a performance shifter"

Those of you who have or had this shifter can answer this best.

-Mixed
I do have the MGW shifter and my set-up does not make any noise different than my factory shifter made. That is to say that I didn't notice any noise after the install of my MGW. I trimmed my factory boot to fit under the new rubber boot, so I may be benefitting from some additional insulating material.

Others with STS's please chime in with your experience regarding shifter noise.

Quick Reply: Does a new shifter really make a difference?