4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Low coolant light on

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 04:58 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Default Low coolant light on

Hey guys, my low coolant light turns on every so often on my 2000 GT but the over flow tank is full. Is there some other reason this would be turning on, or could the contacts be dirty or something? If it's the sensor, is there some way to clean it or does it have to be replaced?

TIA
Old 05-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The sensor is reading from the side of the block, I believe.

You MUST confirm that enough coolant is within the system, as the overflow system may not be working correctly.

Jazzer
Old 05-27-2011, 07:31 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
The sensor is reading from the side of the block, I believe.

You MUST confirm that enough coolant is within the system, as the overflow system may not be working correctly.

Jazzer
Oh.. well that's a problem if that's the case haha. I took the sensor out of the top of the intake manifold and "blead all the air out" when I changed my coolant. Is there some other way I'm supposed to do it?

Also there is some sensor on the bottom of my coolant overflow (hooked to a little float in the tank), I kinda figured that was the low coolant sensor. What would cause the overflow tank to not function properly? Clogged hose?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I think the sensor at the bottom of the little tank just tells you that your little tank is low, but this may be faulty and be the reason you are getting a light on your dash. I haven't seen such a sensor before, but I have never been known for my sensative side

If the engine is cool, pull the radiator cap off and check the level. Is it OK?

Jazzer
Old 05-27-2011, 09:50 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ant-light.html
Old 05-31-2011, 04:57 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I think the sensor at the bottom of the little tank just tells you that your little tank is low, but this may be faulty and be the reason you are getting a light on your dash. I haven't seen such a sensor before, but I have never been known for my sensative side

If the engine is cool, pull the radiator cap off and check the level. Is it OK?

Jazzer
Oh yeah. I check my fluids all the time. Just wondering why it was doing this, it's annoying. My old car always had idiot lights on and it hurt my ego because it was a complete pos haha.

Pulled it out in 01 huh? Anyway to clean it or something? I don't want to spend money if it's just going to crap out again.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:32 PM
gtjason

I'm havin the same problem! I put quite a bit in & that light wont go out. I thought I got the symbol confused & checked the owner's manual. It doesn't even show that light. It shows a "check gas cap" light in it's place. Let me know what finally fixed it. I don't know if I can force anymore coolant in it
Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gtjason
I'm havin the same problem! I put quite a bit in & that light wont go out. I thought I got the symbol confused & checked the owner's manual. It doesn't even show that light. It shows a "check gas cap" light in it's place. Let me know what finally fixed it. I don't know if I can force anymore coolant in it
Ignoring it. lol

My coolant is full, actually over filled and the light is still on. I'm not a dumbass and I watch my gauges etc so I see no need to fix it. I check my fluids often so I'll notice if my coolant starts to get low. If I ever have my dash out I'm pulling the bulb because it's kind of annoying.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Mine comes on every so often when cold. Goes away after a few minutes of running.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:44 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

unplug the sensor on the bottom of the tank, the light should go out. its probably corroded on the inside. Super common issue on a lot of cars

Quick Reply: Low coolant light on