4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Mustang sputtered, died, and won't start now.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Slick72

Default Mustang sputtered, died, and won't start now.

I was driving my mustang back from a 40mile trip. While in town just crusing slow, about 30, the car starts sputtering and ran like crap only to die 5-10 seconds later. I rolled to the side of road tried to start and it wont start. Battery is fine its cranking at normal good rate. If i hold accelerater down all the way the car BARELY starts running after about 5 seconds of cranking only to die a couple seconds later. I can smell gas when trying to start so I don't think its the fuel pump, i had to get a wrench to check for a spark but any ideas of what else it could be? Sorry about typing, in rush, left car on side of road one mile away from house lol.

EDIT: key detail, when trying to start the ignition coil on cylinder 6 moves up and down and sounded like air is escaping, could it be a bad coil or loose spark plug?

Last edited by Slick72; 06-08-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

looks liek you blew a coil and spark plug out on 6
Old 06-08-2011, 06:32 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Purp should be chiming in any minute lol
Old 06-08-2011, 06:46 PM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kugzgt
Purp should be chiming in any minute lol
You gonna rake him over the coals on that one,
Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackvenom01
looks liek you blew a coil and spark plug out on 6
+1

You're going to have to check for damage to the piston/combustion chamber and then either time-sert the threads or replace the cylinder heads. One of the least favorite issues to happen with these engines.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Slick72

So a little update. I got the car started a few hours later. Keep in mind I didn't drive it. It ran like absolute crap. I had to keep accelerator all the way down to start it and even once it was started i had to keep it down all the way and it stayed at 3k ish rpm but after about 15 seconds i could rev to about 5-6k (not that I wanted to). The exhaust smoke was black/filling the air with fumes of gas. Car was making a ticking sound similar to a lifter tick. Any ideas on what to do? I've replaced spark plug and coil and it still does not start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsQOldLRXks

Heres a video of the car. Please know I do not start my car and rev it because i like beating on a busted engine but rather for you guys to help me diagnose this issue. Thanks.

Last edited by Slick72; 06-08-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 AM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

Thread jack, how can we avoid this issue? Other than don't overtorque plugs and don't change them while engine is hot. It seems this guy was just driving along and pop there go the threads.

After watching the video it seems the there is compression getting past the sparkplug, just spitballing.

Last edited by fidelcastrol; 06-09-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Slick72

Well I bought the car with 69,000 miles. Only 70,500 right now. I haven't change any spark plugs because I read they are good for up to 100k miles. One thing I notice is that, when a spark plug blows out, there is NO gap on them for some reason. My guess is that the previous owner thought he could change them himself.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 AM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slick72
Well I bought the car with 69,000 miles. Only 70,500 right now. I haven't change any spark plugs because I read they are good for up to 100k miles. One thing I notice is that, when a spark plug blows out, there is NO gap on them for some reason. My guess is that the previous owner thought he could change them himself.
I think the previous owner fudged up the tune up and then got rid of the car. I would get a torque wrench and replace all the plugs or at least inspect them. That one plug that has no gap is not a good sign, there maybe a foreign object in that cylinder and may have hit the plug causing it to look like there is no gap. I'm not 100% sure but I think the plugs should be torqued at no more than 15 ft/lbs, there is a write up in the stickies. You might want to pm cliffyk he seems to know everything there is to know about these cars and could probably figure this out in a heartbeat. But most likely something is bouncing around in that cylinder effing up plugs.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Slick72

So after all this, I got a friend of mine to safely re-thread the hole. I put a new spark plug in there and it was still a no go. Still had trouble starting and once it got started needed almost constant WOT to keep running along with a severe ticking sound coming from the engine that went with RPM's. I then checked all the other spark plugs. They were ALL black covered in gas. My question is, how could one spark plug shootout cause the other plugs to foul out? Unless they were already like that. My last bet is to change all the spark plugs and try to run it.

Quick Reply: Mustang sputtered, died, and won't start now.