4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Which of you New Edge guys are actually Auto Mechanics?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Default Which of you New Edge guys are actually Auto Mechanics?

So I get some really good information on here some times and it makes me wonder which of you guys are talking based on years of experience tinkering with your own cars, and who is speaking from years of experience as a professional.

Which of you New Edge guys are actually mechanics? And which of you guys who aren't feel if you went to a shop right now that you have so much experience you could teach those guys a thing or two?

I only ask this because I've gotten some highly educated and very in depth responses to some of my questions lately and was just curious what kind of background you guys have brought here with you.

So if you don't mind post your number of years of experience and even your age if you feel comfortable saying so.

Me, I was a fighter jet mechanic for the air force for 6 years. I am by no means an expert mechanic though...especially when it comes to my car. Give me a tech manual, some expert advice, and a troubleshooting tree though and I'll get to the bottom of it. That's why I ask so many questions on here
Old 06-11-2011, 02:05 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

I'm a tech at a ford dealer. Only been doing it for about 2 years now.

It's funny tho i still get confused about the slightest things, but then other areas i feel like a genius. no matter how long you've been doing it there's always someone that can teach you a thing or two. And I find myself learning much more from the guys I work with then I did going to school for 3 years for it.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

I am, but I work on old cars more than new cars. I agree with CT i learn from people or just the hands on. I was in school for 18mo and all i really took from there was how to weld.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

I'm 22 and a truck driver/mechanic in the army but anything I've learned about cars has been me tinkering around and researching myself. My dad gave up racing when my mom got pregnant with me so I picked up my love for cars myself and never really had anyone to help me so I had bo choice but to learn.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:42 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Im not a mechanic by trade, but I know for a fact I know what I'm doing more that some of the "shop mechanics" around here. I enjoy it as a hobby, I was a mechanic while I went to school and I love working on cars, but not other peoples headaches.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Im not a mechanic by trade, but I know for a fact I know what I'm doing more that some of the "shop mechanics" around here. I enjoy it as a hobby, I was a mechanic while I went to school and I love working on cars, but not other peoples headaches.
same with me, not on the knowledge part though.

I love working on cars, but on my own time. I work in a garage when my main job gets slow. Its fun to learn but I just hate how I always do the same **** week after week.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:38 AM
Vovovovan
3rd Gear Member

I'm 20 but i've owned mustangs since 17 and pretty much all my knowledge comes from reading on forums and self exploring. I hate taking my car to my mechanic so I do most of the work myself
Old 06-12-2011, 11:44 AM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Im 25, grew up working on a 67 Thunderbird. First car was an 85 vette and I worked on it for hundreds of hours.

After HS I got into small engine repair and got a certification for mechanics helper, then mechanic, in outboards and small engines.

Im certified in Toro, MTD, McCulloch, Simplicity, Briggs and Stratton, Snapper, Troy Bilt, Echo, BearCat, Kohler, Kawasaki, tecumseh, etc etc...

Ive built kart racing engines that made 5.5hp stock into nitro breathing monsters that made over 25 and spun up to 8500 rpms.

Ive owned and worked on:

89 Fleetwood FWD
81 Eldorado
89 Grand Wagoneer SJ
93 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ
85 Corvette Z51
76 Corvette Stingray
03 GT vert
01 GT
98 Ram 1500
86 GMC K2500 High Sierra

And Ive been through all of em...mastered their quirks and designs, and enjoyed the hell out of em...

I worked at a small engine shop that also did full time car repair and I was able to assist and observe for 3 years on working on cars...

I just love turning wrenches.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:22 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

ASE certified, but like Uber said, hate working on other peoples BS, going into the military now
Old 06-12-2011, 01:59 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Wrenching for 6yrs now. Ford tech for 4 1/2 years, now working at an independent shop.

Im all about making money off your POS lol

Quick Reply: Which of you New Edge guys are actually Auto Mechanics?