4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Type of exhaust and H or X pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 PM
4.6GT_guy

I am pretty sure that they are just the stock catted exhaust.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:09 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4.6GT_guy
I am pretty sure that they are just the stock catted exhaust.
"They" referring to the mid-pipe? Anyway, go to YouTube and listen to as many exhaust clips as possible and decide what you like. I have o/r x and magnapacks. I love the sound and get many complements. Been told it sounds better than my friends 5.0 with flows.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

magnapacks sound great. Longtubes/offroad X/packs are one of my dream exhaust setups on my car.

If no longtubes, offroad X is the only way to goooo.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
OP,
How old are you?
I suspect that most guys older than mid-twenties, that have outgrown the LOUD AS POSSIBLE phase, would go with either a high flow cat mid-pipe to reduce the volume or at least an O/R H-pipe to cut down on the raspiness of the sound.

Just my 45 year old opinion... LOL
My 32 year old ears found that after listening to alot of different exhaust sounds on youtube that a single catted H pipe was for me. I think it gives it a deeper rumble. I can't stand that raspy sound and definately hate that wet fart sound at high rpm's.

I'm getting some SSS Adrenaline mufflers on my stock setup for now. Then moving to a catted H-pipe. I figure 2 cats will be louder than the 6 that are on there now and give me a slightly louder sound, and I can still muffle the rasp.

I'm not really ready for long tube headers just yet, but IMO long tubes with a catted H and the adrenaline muffler was a great sound.

Any thoughts? Does that logic sound about right or am I off base somewhere. This x-pipe vs. H-pipe is something I'm very interested in before I pull the trigger to buy one.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:20 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

X pipe vs. H pipe is like Playboy and Hustler models. Both sound great when they work, one is slightly classier than the other, and both can be cheap if you know someone that can hook you up.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:25 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Penthouse = prochamber???
Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
X pipe vs. H pipe is like Playboy and Hustler models. Both sound great when they work, one is slightly classier than the other, and both can be cheap if you know someone that can hook you up.
So which is classier??? I'm guessing the H pipe right? I found that the H seems to have slightly less rasp.

I think the cats vs the O/R is the real hustler to playboy. O/R gives it to you dirty...while the cat still gives it to you...but like you said, classier.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Speedkills is right on the money.

Play the lotto tonight my buddy.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:28 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tommy079
So which is classier??? I'm guessing the H pipe right? I found that the H seems to have slightly less rasp.

I think the cats vs the O/R is the real hustler to playboy. O/R gives it to you dirty...while the cat still gives it to you...but like you said, classier.
Tomato vs. Tomaaaaato - Hustler, Playboy, Penthouse....sh;t I'll take either or all 3, as long as they are good to meeee.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:28 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by speedkills
street hooker = prochamber???
fixed it

Quick Reply: Type of exhaust and H or X pipe