4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Thinking about painting my stock Starfish wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS PRIME
If you're trying to save you can always do vinyl insert on them as well.
http://www.mwspeedshop.com/99prod1/stripes1.htm
Wonder how it holds up with heat from rim\brakes and summer heat on top of it.
LOL..The wifes Cricut Machine \ Sure Cuts Alot will has some use

I can mess with my stockers for GT

Already cut some nice stuff with it for a friends custom bike "tribals"
Old 06-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS PRIME
If you're trying to save you can always do vinyl insert on them as well.
Well it's not so much that I'm trying to save money. It's that when I buy my new wheels I'm probably going to buy them for larger tires...which means I'll have to spend alot of money (for wheels AND tires).

And I like my starfish wheels for now...I just don't love them. And the car is about to be black with yellow accents here and there. I found a design I want on the scoop, I found some nice Saleen style rocker stripes for under the doors, and I'm gonna do the bumper insert...and a professionaly painted pinstripe on the spoiler (he's gonna do the scoop too). All very small and subtle though. I don't want to "overdo" it on the yellow.

Anyway, so I thought I could do something to the stock wheels to highlight them as well in the same way I'm doing the rest of the car. The bumper inserts and rocker stripes are gonna be vinyl, but I worry about putting it on the wheel because of rocks and heat. Not only that, but I like the idea of having the entire inner star all black, not just the spoke part. It looks silly to me like that.

What I'm really wondering is what do you guys think about my design idea??? With the inner star black and the horse yellow? Nobody's said they hate it yet or that it looks ridiculous, which was the type of negativity I was wondering if I would get. I honestly think I'd like it.

I read another post and the guy used like 6 coats of black, and 3-4 coats of clear. I think that would stand up to rocks pretty well.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Tommy079; 06-17-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

I added this one too...what do you all think?

Old 06-18-2011, 09:57 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

It would look to cheap IMHO. TheNameless painted his starfish wheels black and clearcoated them I believe and they looked really good. Buttttt his car is redfire or some red color.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
It would look to cheap IMHO. TheNameless painted his starfish wheels black and clearcoated them I believe and they looked really good. Buttttt his car is redfire or some red color.
I've been waiting for your opinion. I figured it would be the most honest.

See that's what I'm worried about. I don't want to take wheels that are decent and mess them all up trying just to get some extra color. I mean I think the idea has potential, but I'm really worried about it looking like something Earl and Randy threw together one drunk weekend in the trailer park.

There's this aftermarket site I found for Savini wheels and you can customize any of their wheels to whatever color you want. And I put together some sweet black and yellow color combinations, but they wouldn't even give you the price. I'm sure they were $500+ per wheel. So I figured I could do the trailer park version with my own stockers just for the hell of it, but I'm pretty sure less than half of the people here will like it while everyone else rains down the flames More importantly, I don't know how much I'll like it when all is said and done, and once I scuff the hell out of them and lay on that many coats of paint it would be near impossible to undo.

Those vinyl inserts Prime was talking about are only 10 bucks. I could always try that just to see how I like the look. At least I can undo it. I can find some matching vinyl to do the rest of the star black, and buy another $10 set in yellow to do the horse. Or I could have the sign shop where I'm gonna get my decals put on give me a price. If I like it then I'll paint it, if I don't then I'll just take them off, with no harm done.

Last edited by Tommy079; 06-18-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

You should checkout HPWrestler220's wheels. He has staggered Bullitts that are painted glossy black and they look GREAT. You can find those wheels on ebay, craigslist, the forums, pretty much anywhere and on the cheap too. I've thought about grabbing a pair of them for my car....Those in my opinion look a helluva lot better in black than the starfish wheels.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

I like the black bullits the best out of all the black wheels I've seen. I've seen alot of black convertibles with the all black bullitts, and I'm not a fan of that look. But to me, the black one's with the chrome rims look awesome.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

To bad you don't live closer to CT I'd sell ya my chrome saleens lol.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
To bad you don't live closer to CT I'd sell ya my chrome saleens lol.
The ones you have on the car now? Why are you getting new wheels?

And then we can go get that beer

I like the chrome look on my car alot. I did alot of picture searching and found some black convertible that look really good with chrome wheels. The chrome Cobras were nice.

Hey, since you're from CT, are you a Patriots fan?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:57 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

I live in Southern CT...much closer to NY than Massachusetts. I'm a diehard Yanks/Giants fan lol.

When my car is no longer a DD, I'll probably sell the saleens and get chrome bigs and littles. I won't be doing anything soon with my car. Between jobs and honestly the car is the last thing on my mind lately.

Quick Reply: Thinking about painting my stock Starfish wheels.